Assistance required with Sears VCR

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 20, 2016, 9:58 AM

Post #26 of 30 (12640 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mellotron] Assistance required with Sears VCR [In reply to] Can't Post

Just noticed? A good thorough visual inspection is Step #1. Replace it.

-------------------------

Mellotron
New User

Sep 20, 2016, 10:53 AM

Post #27 of 30 (12635 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Assistance required with Sears VCR [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right, I just thought of checking the power supply for bulged caps. Should've thought of that earlier.. My excuse is that it is quite hard to see Angelic ...

I just unsoldered it and that capacitor definitely wasn't doing a good job filtering anything I'm sure hahaha. It's not only bulged but the bottom is also all corroded and rotten... It is a 1000uf 25v.

My question is can I use any capacitor I find as long as it's a good brand and has at least the same values or do I need to look for a specific kind/series?

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 20, 2016, 11:08 AM

Post #28 of 30 (12632 views)
Shortcut

If wanting start a new thread for the Pana Pro VCR. BNC &/or RCA connections should be Line level Audio / Video Ins & Outs.

A Good brand is better than a Bad brand. Common values. 1000ufd / 25 or 35 or 50 or 100V. The higher (generally) will be larger and more expensive. Digikey or Fry's or even amaz/fleabay.

-------------------------

Mellotron
New User

Oct 6, 2016, 8:35 PM

Post #29 of 30 (12259 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Assistance required with Sears VCR [In reply to] Can't Post

A few days ago I received the capacitor I ordered from some guy I found online. The capacitor he sent me looks a bit shady... I do not recognize the manufacturer... On it appears to be a logo that says TP? Well anyway I installed it in the power supply and the lines have finally disappeared. Nice! Also my multimeter now shows 0.50 instead of 3 when probing around in AC mode. There are still... I'd say 3 problems with it. The intermittent problems with the flex cable I talked about earlier, the recording "sensor" that broke off the loading tray a while back that I need to figure out how to re-install, and the capstan brake is inoperational due to a spring that flew away into a new dimension. None of those problems affect playback except the first one.

So I'd say the VCR is now suitable to be used as a machine to transfer tapes to my computer when I get a great capture card. I just need to pray so that the intermittent problem doesn't get in the way of a recording... Sometimes it will take hours and hours to appear, sometimes a minute. Which is what I still don't get by the way if the problem is a damaged connection then why would it be intermittent like this?

Mellotron
New User

Jul 19, 2017, 8:28 PM

Post #30 of 30 (11457 views)
Shortcut

Can someone help me with my VCR? I have an entire TV show on VHS, official release (not homemade). My VCR works fine with all cassettes but those. They are not any more damaged than other cassettes that work.

Most of the time, when playing them the hi-fi symbol on the VFD will blink and the audio will be filled with buzzing and crackling sounds. Sometimes the picture will also be of really really poor quality. For some reason this is intermittent, sometimes those problems do not occur at all.

When these problems do not occur there's another problem. Sometimes when the VCR will encounter a very slight defect on the tape (sometimes there doesn't even seem to be any defects at all) instead of showing a small line on the screen, the entire picture gets messed up and it can even last for 2 seconds. If I rewind and play the part that messed up again, sometimes there aren't even any defects at all!

Here's an example. When I went back and played that part again there were no defects at all. (set the quality at 720p 60p)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re5Fh8bKCZk

None of those problems happened on my other VCRs.

Are the video heads of the VCR too worn? Are the tape guides misaligned? Bad capacitors?

(This post was edited by Mellotron on Jul 19, 2017, 8:35 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)