Mitsubishi HS-M1000 S-VHS - load failed

NestGear
New User

Dec 20, 2018, 4:38 PM

Post #1 of 6 (3947 views)
Shortcut
Mitsubishi HS-M1000 S-VHS - load failed Can't Post

Hi Guys

I am desperate to get this machine to work so i can transfer some home video to a PC... and having no luck!

The VCR has been in a rack for the last 25 years and not used for the last 12.

It powers up, accepts tapes but then immediately ejects them.

I have stripped the mechanism and cleaned up the old grease that had set like glue, to no avail. None of the internal parts appear stuck or broken at all.

When the cassette loads, it enters and goes down ok, but then the capstan motor belt strains (plenty of torque in the motor - its the pulley its trying to turn that wont move further), as if it should be moving something - or possibly the mode switch is not telling it to shut off?

Any ideas?

The deck chassis is the same as the HS-M27/M37 - so not as rare as the SVHS badge would suggest.

Many thanks in advice for any advice!

David

jts1957
Veteran

Dec 20, 2018, 5:04 PM

Post #2 of 6 (3946 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NestGear] Mitsubishi HS-M1000 S-VHS - load failed [In reply to] Can't Post

Was/Is timing correct?

-------------------------

NestGear
New User

Dec 20, 2018, 5:46 PM

Post #3 of 6 (3940 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Mitsubishi HS-M1000 S-VHS - load failed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Was/Is timing correct?

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply.

Timing? - Not sure I understand! - the only timing I think are the cam plates I removed and cleaned and they are all refitted as per the manual,

It looks like, somehow, the VCR does not know the tape carriage has lowered, and the capstan motor is still trying to lower it down.... I have removed some gears and the binding I described earlier is as a result of the carriage being at its lowest position thus no more movement.

I have (since first post) removed the mode switch, opened it, and cleaned it with a fibreglass pencil, so its nice and clean..... to no avail!

I will have another look at the manual (found in German but a similar model (same deck) is around in English,

David

(This post was edited by NestGear on Dec 20, 2018, 5:55 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Dec 21, 2018, 12:40 AM

Post #4 of 6 (3936 views)
Shortcut

You mean you cleaned/lubed MODE switch and cleaned/added some extra tension to the shorting bar contacts, then carefully snapped together and reinstalled.

A quick test to see if deck timing is or is not correct is to remove the cassette basket and turning loading motor worm gear or pulley while observing mechanism movements until deck is fully loaded. Do not force if binds up.

Founded both manuals. Only readum English. Appear mechanisms are quite similar.

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Dec 21, 2018, 1:00 AM)

NestGear
New User

Dec 21, 2018, 7:04 PM

Post #5 of 6 (3928 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Mitsubishi HS-M1000 S-VHS - load failed [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi

Yes, stripped mode switch as you describe and reassembled.

The machine takes the tape in, drops it down.

Beyond that - the capstan motor continues to drive as if it does not know it has reached the down position... then ejects the tape.

The lace up of the tape is never commenced.

I have not managed to find what lets the deck know the tape is down ready to be pulled out the cassette.

David

jts1957
Veteran

Dec 21, 2018, 11:42 PM

Post #6 of 6 (3927 views)
Shortcut

I have stripped the mechanism

This applies to the deck mechanism?

Be advised: working mechanisms 'by hand' that most parts are plastics, most parts are hard to come by and your strength could easily force part(s) to break.

With cassette housing removed and a tape placed at opening, as Gear - Worm - F/L is rotated the cassette will be taken in (applying small pressure to tape to guide in) and lowered to fully down condition. Reverse worm gear rotation direction and cassette will be ejected. This proves Cassette Housing mechanism is timed correctly. Set housing aside.

Next on the deck there is a loading motor. On it's shaft will be, as they call them, a coupling, a worm gear and a pulley. Any can develop a lengthwise crack that allows motor shaft to spin without turning them. If you turn these in one direction (If fully into Eject, nothing will happen turning in the other direction), the deck mechanism (IF 'In time' with NO broken parts or foreign material) should be able to load the mechanism into its fully loaded condition. Be advised, you may have to 'help.' For example as supply side loading post slides back, you may have to help tension arm positioning it so it doesn't jam.

IF your quote applies to deck mechanism, I fully expect that deck mechanism will jam.

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Dec 21, 2018, 11:58 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)