Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
Panasonic AG-1950 frozen mechanism

Mellotron
New User

Oct 29, 2016, 10:01 AM

Post #1 of 4 (34351 views)
Shortcut
Panasonic AG-1950 frozen mechanism Can't Post

Hello. I am gonna need my Panasonic's ability to make clean, stable pauses. Problem is it's got a frozen mechanism. Here's how it goes.

If the VCR is left unused for some time, next time I will try it will always refuse to pick up a cassette, and after many power cycling it will start to accept cassettes but reject them (because power cycling it makes the mechanism move for some reason) and after many re-inserting and pressing play a couple of times it finally becomes able to play the cassette. After that, I can eject the cassette, insert another one, and it will instantly work. If I stop using it for some time, I will then have to redo the whole ordeal again. Don't worry, I have only done this 3 times to avoid breaking the mechanism.

I am 99.99% sure that this is caused by grease that has turned to glue in the mechanism. I even opened the VCR up once and the grease on the tracks of the tape guides was really really sticky. I already have some super lube, I heard that was a good replacement grease.

I have never done this before. Could I have any tips? On how to apply the new grease, where and also how to get to the bottom of the mechanism? There are 2 circuit boards blocking access and it seems like they should be able to move on hinges but they don't.

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 29, 2016, 11:22 AM

Post #2 of 4 (34350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mellotron] Panasonic AG-1950 frozen mechanism [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.webstore.com/...n_id,auction_details

-------------------------

rrobor
Veteran

Nov 14, 2016, 10:59 AM

Post #3 of 4 (33805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mellotron] Panasonic AG-1950 frozen mechanism [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like belts slipping to me. Cassette is not getting seated hard down causing the location switch to not latch for the next phase of loading.

Mellotron
New User

Nov 26, 2016, 10:22 PM

Post #4 of 4 (31371 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] Panasonic AG-1950 frozen mechanism [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think there are any belts in this VCR. Anyway I applied new grease into it and now it's totally broken... Oops! What happened? Don't know, my only guess is that grease went into unwanted places. Oh well...

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)