Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
JVC VIDEO/DVD HD PLAYER

simplejohnny
New User

May 11, 2010, 5:49 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1507 views)
Shortcut
JVC VIDEO/DVD HD PLAYER Can't Post

Hi, I am a newb on tv matters so please be patient with me.
I have a JVC DVD/VIDEO HD player in which the HD has never been used & the video once. The DVD player a few times. It is 3 years old & out of warranty.
One day my TV network provider Virgin, was updating their box which is connected to the JVC player & then I heard a number of crackling noises.
Since then the DVD player keep saying it is "loading" when you plug in & you can do nothing else with it. You cannot open the video or DVD parts.

I have contacted JVC who say there are no spare parts/software for this player & there is "nothing they can do". Virgin deny responsibility.
I got the player from a catalogue & paid nearly £500 for it & I cannot believe they just ignore something that costs so much.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Did you get it fixed? How & who by? I would love to know if anyone had a better lucj than me.

Barry777
User

May 29, 2010, 4:21 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1490 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simplejohnny] JVC VIDEO/DVD HD PLAYER [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Johnny,

You might get better advice from another tech on here, but my experience shows that 3 years is about the average lifespan for any DVD player, no matter how much or how little it's used. Like most new technologies, they keep trying to cram more peformance into smaller and cheaper packages. To make matters even worse, they've eliminated almost all internal adjustments and depend on the software to keep things in check.

While it could have indeed been caused by the Virgin thing, it would have been something else sooner or later - power surge, aging capacitors or just plain moodiness. The electronic alignment of these devices is extremely critical, and once they fall slightly out of alignment, that's it. While a VCR or other older device would still operate and have lines or interference, a DVD player will simply stop working altogether.

This is why I got back into VCR's. I bought a brand new Coby DVD player, and it lasted less than a year. Nowadays I only purchase VHS whenever possible. If something is only available on DVD, I make a VHS copy of it ASAP as a backup.
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)