Samsung SV-7000W not taking any tapes

Tlynyrd
New User

Feb 20, 2011, 11:38 PM

Post #1 of 3 (7493 views)
Shortcut
Samsung SV-7000W not taking any tapes Can't Post

Hi,
Just e-bay-purchased this VCR so that I can finally convert European (PAL) tapes to DVD. Now after 2 days it won't take any tapes anymore. Display shows "Stop" as soon as I insert tape, then it displays "Eject", tape is not moving at all, it's flush with loading door. Then a few seconds later the power to the vcr goes out, meaning I have to press the power button again, for another try. I read the manual, but it didn't give me much help.
I opened up the unit and checked the voltage to the loading motor, when I insert the tape it shows approx. 8-9VDC, not sure if this should be more than that. Motor is not turning, or even trying to turn. Bad motor?
What a shame, it looked like a nice unit...

thanks,

Barry777
User

Mar 22, 2011, 1:21 PM

Post #2 of 3 (7348 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tlynyrd] Samsung SV-7000W not taking any tapes [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like a bad motor to me, and it should be very easy to scrap from a junk VCR, loading motors are fairly universal for the most part. The terminals on a 9v battery match up nicely to loading motor terminals for a quick test of the motor. A 9v battery has plenty of juice to operate the motor.
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

lordsmurf
New User

Apr 11, 2011, 10:22 AM

Post #3 of 3 (7226 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tlynyrd] Samsung SV-7000W not taking any tapes [In reply to] Can't Post

(Just now came across this site, while searching Google. Interesting. May have to come back.
Looks to be my kind of place. TV, cartoons, video? Yep.)

Your best bet is to locate a service manual.
Samsung 5000W and 7000W VCRs still have a good bit of value, and were not as widespread, so finding a cheap junked-out for-parts deck is unlikely.

There's a lot of free manuals that members have added to the Free VCR Service Manuals and User Manuals page at The Digital FAQ. Since I'm a member there, I may ask some of the other contributors if they have a 5000W/7000W manual. (I have a 5000, so I'd like a copy, too.)

There's a similar post there right now, about a JVC VCR acting up in an identical manner. Was it zapped by a power surge, by chance?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I'm not here, you'll find me at
- The TVPreservation forums, chatting with fans about homemade and retail TV DVD box sets
- The digitalFAQ forums, posting digital video, digital photo, and web design help
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)