Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
Symphonic 6470 - Won't eject tapes

J.S.
New User

Jun 11, 2010, 3:04 AM

Post #1 of 7 (4636 views)
Shortcut
Symphonic 6470 - Won't eject tapes Can't Post

I have a nice little "retro" VCR from the 1990s - a Symphonic 6470. I've never had problems with it before - picture quality's always been great, it's always been responsive, never any tape-eating.

I haven't used it in a few years, however. Blame DVD and YouTube for the declining popularity of one of the greatest machines of all time.

Yet, today, I put in a tape - a relatively new tape, it was recorded in 2005. I turned the VCR on afterwards and pressed play. It began to make a grinding noise - I assume this is the motor running - and then it shut down.

I turned it back on and hit the eject button. It made the same noise and shut down. I tried again a few times with a few other buttons - FF, RWD, Pause, etc. - and it still did the same thing.

I'm thinking from reading people with similar problems on different VCRs that it's a broken belt. It also seems like it could also be a dirty rotary mode switch.

Only problem is I don't know where to find either of these. I've never repaired a VCR before in my life. Where are those two mechanisms and how would I go about repairing them? I'd really like to restore this VCR, as it's proved to be the creme de la creme of every VCR I've used.

EDIT: I tried again a few hours later out of curiosity. I managed to re-wind the tape completely. I pressed play and it wouldn't go through (my other VCR was hooked up the same way and wouldn't play) so I pressed the off button. It started to make the same grinding noise and did it's error shut-off. I tried to turn it back on, and it still did the same problem routine as it did in the beginning.

(This post was edited by J.S. on Jun 11, 2010, 4:12 AM)

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 11, 2010, 4:15 AM

Post #2 of 7 (4623 views)
Shortcut
Re: [J.S.] Symphonic 6470 - Won't eject tapes [In reply to] Can't Post

Most likely stretched Loading belt. Last one I replaced was a flat one (as opposed to square).
Take top and bottom covers off VCR. Examine layout of mechanism, noting belts and motor pulleys. Mark through center of motor pulley with a magic marker so you can discern any slipping (motor pulley keeps spinning, while belt and whatever belt connects to does NOT).

-------------------------

J.S.
New User

Jun 11, 2010, 3:36 PM

Post #3 of 7 (4616 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Symphonic 6470 - Won't eject tapes [In reply to] Can't Post

The bottom pulley doesn't move when the top pulley does. Do I need to replace it?

(This post was edited by J.S. on Jun 11, 2010, 3:50 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 11, 2010, 7:07 PM

Post #4 of 7 (4606 views)
Shortcut

If the only connection between the two is a belt ... you'll need to replace the belt.Wink

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Jun 11, 2010, 9:56 PM)

J.S.
New User

Jun 11, 2010, 9:44 PM

Post #5 of 7 (4603 views)
Shortcut

It turns out the belt was loose from both pulleys. I managed to slip it back in to place.

The problem now is that when I insert a tape, it automatically starts rewinding - even if the tape's fully re-wound. Then one of three things will happen:

1.) It'll begin to rewind but there's nothing left to be re-wound. It'll then eject.

2.) It'll try to rewind, but the cassette isn't properly in place. Once it finishes, it ejects

3.) The capstans will wrap around the actual tape and attempt to push it forward to the head. The head doesn't catch the tape (however it's supposed to) and it ejects the casette instead.

jts1957
Veteran

Jun 11, 2010, 10:09 PM

Post #6 of 7 (4599 views)
Shortcut

You mean the take-up & supply loading/guide posts.

The capstan is the shaft (part of a flywheel usually) that the pinch (pressure) roller pinches the tape between to take the tape through the tape path at the precise speed desired.

Make sure no light is sneaking in and affecting an end sensor. Funai/Symphonic did have a kit with a prism, 2 end sensors and the center LED, but I don't recall if this is one of the models the kit covers.

Barry777
User

Jun 20, 2010, 3:48 PM

Post #7 of 7 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Hold it guys -
If the loading belt was so loose or slick that it actually slipped off, it needs to be replaced, not simply put back on. Chances are, your VCR is not completing the loading cycle which makes it do funny things. I would get a NEW loading belt before I went any further, or you'll likely end up adding to an easily-fixed problem by taking apart stuff that is fine to begin with.
By an extremely wide margin, old rubber is the most common problem with VCR's - don' even think about trying to fix it without first replacing all the old rubber. And clean the pulleys with alcohol before installing the new belt. It's very likely to fix the problem.
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)