Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
VCR Audio troubleshoot

riko
New User

Jul 14, 2022, 8:49 PM

Post #1 of 2 (3887 views)
Shortcut
VCR Audio troubleshoot Can't Post

Never had to resort to asking around here though thought id give it a shot.

I bought a Samsung DVD VCR combo unit to play some older tapes i got laying around, been running into audio problems though they are specific.

Store bought VHS tapes seem almost completely fine.

Prerecorded VHS tapes are mixed, sometimes i get audio, though sometimes i do not.

Sometimes i only get audio if i plug the RED cable, into the WHITE port on the tv, while the white on white gets very feint sound even at max volume.

I tried Coaxial input for the unit, i only get video and no sound on certain tapes.

I am not sure the problem, something to do with the how it was recorded? Or a mono/stereo issue? I cant seem to change which i am using, just wish to hear your thoughts if you can help me, havent had much help elsewhere. Thanks.

(This post was edited by riko on Jul 14, 2022, 10:19 PM)

Eric-Jan B.
New User

Nov 13, 2022, 1:50 PM

Post #2 of 2 (2264 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riko] VCR Audio troubleshoot [In reply to] Can't Post

Your VCR i guess, has only linear audio tracks, these are picked up by stationary heads just like an analog audio recorder, cleaning up needs to be done, with q tips and alcohol (colorless alcohol) (iso proponol alcohol is the best sort) don't touch the (round) video head.
Depending on the recordings on the tapes a VCR with HiFi stereo audio would be better, if yours does have this, the recordings could be pre HiFi stereo or this feature is switched off, if possible. check for any option for this. a manual can be found with google or on the ManualsLib website.

Eric-Jan van den Bogaard

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)