Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
Weird colors ?

blank
New User

May 29, 2010, 12:02 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1960 views)
Shortcut
Weird colors ? Can't Post

I never use the VCR. its actually been under my bed for the last year or so.

I recently bought the Roxio easy vcr to dvd kit, and got the vcr player out to transfer the tapes to dvd, but the quality is so horrible.

I attempted to do this a few years ago with my pctv pro card. The quality was much better then, and was using the same vcr.

I thought maybe it was this new capture device so i hooked the vcr up to my tv, and it was there. so nope.

There seems to be weird red,blue, and green spots all over the video now. It's not the tape because it shows it on all of them.

Here are some examples:
This was the same tape a year ago on the same vcr:

and now:

I switched around the component cables, and it didnt work. they show fine with the dvb player.

I tried manually cleaning the heads on the vcr, which didnt help either.

Right now i have some random tape in it, and trying to play it all the way through it, so maybe that'll help clean it some how.

Does anyone know whats going on? And how to fix it? Or do i just need to give up on this vcr (had it since 1996).

I don't know hwere to buy one at these days, ha.

Barry777
User

May 29, 2010, 4:08 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1957 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blank] Weird colors ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Blank,

Looks like your VCR has drifted slightly out of alignment in the RF circuits, which the video and color have to go through for various reasons.
I'm assuming that you're using the A/V outputs rather than the VHF output, which is best. This problem requires the service manual and
some special test equipment to repair. You are simply losing some signal strength somewhere in the VCR, resulting in the video "noise".
However, there is a small possibility that running the VCR continuously for a few days will "break it back in" and the picture might improve.
Your VCR might also be fixed by replacing all the electrolytic capacitors in the unit, as these only have about a 10 to 20 year lifespan.
From my extensive experience, it does appear to be a problem requiring some professional intervention, unfortunately.
If you decide to get another one, I would go with a professional duplicator which you can get pretty cheap these days. Most of these
have direct drive reels and capstan and will last many more years before needing service. The downside is that most of these need some
routine mechanical service - but once serviced, they are very solid and reliable for probably 10 more years.

Just an afterthought - any complex electronic device must be kept in fairly constant use in order to keep performing reliably. Running
your unit a few hours each month is sufficient to keep things running nicely. Good luck!
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

techchris
Veteran

May 29, 2010, 6:31 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1953 views)
Shortcut

check its not switched to S-VHS

blank
New User

May 29, 2010, 10:38 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1950 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barry777] Weird colors ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Barry, thanks alot for your reply.
I heard that this is called "Chroma Noise", or something?

I think it'd be easier to replace the VCR, and buy a new one.

Some people online suggested to get the professional tape desks on ebay or something, which used to cause thousands but now are penny's on the dollar. Are those the ones you were talkin about?

I am thinking about something like that, but really not really needing something that fancy. Just something that'll work good enough for me to convert these old home videos to digital.
This VCR which was only like $100 in 1996 worked pretty good before as you can see in the original file, so any cheap vcr that was made after 2000s should even have a better quality picture and be probably $10-$20 now. I dunno what to do though.

Yes I am using the component a/v cables.

could cleaning it more correct the problem? Or is it more serious than that?

Im going to let it play for a few hours today to see if that fixes something.

thanks much

Barry777
User

May 31, 2010, 5:53 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1942 views)
Shortcut

Hi Blank,

If you just need to make copies and won't need the VCR after that, you might try the thrift shops or Goodwill if they are in your area. In most cases, folks have gone completely to DVD (BIG mistake in my opinion) and simply have no more use for the VCR's. The shops in my area guarantee the items, and also have outlets and TV's around to test VCR's - though you will probably need to bring your own cables and a test tape. You'll also find a VCR at probably every yard sale, and of course they all work according to the seller! For your one-time purpose, a newer VCR will probably work best - though I go for older units and replace the belts and idler tires, as older units have much more reliable electronics and mechanisms. You'll probably get lucky and find a newer one that will give you a couple months before it craps out, whereas you'll need to do a little work with an older one. Since I use VCR's regularly, my rule of thumb is never to buy one that I can pick up with one hand - but the 5 pound cheapos would be better for your purpose. Naturally, you'll want to test them with tapes that can be damaged - and test them for hours when you get home, before putting any valuable movies in them.

Also, it's not a bad idea to have the cover off when testing or using it, so you can prevent a catastrophe before it happens - just keep an eye on things and make sure it behaves. With a newer unit, you'll want to make sure it draws the tape fully back into the cassette before ejecting. And with ANY unit, check rewind and fast forward before hitting the "Play" button. If it won't rewind or fast forward, it's probably going to eat the tape when you try to play it. Make sure it does everything else before letting it pull the tape out of the cassette. If the tape does hang up on something, you have the cover off and can save the tape before it gets caught on stuff. Unfortunately, most newer units pull the tape out and wrap it as soon as it's inserted. You'll want to keep an especially close eye on these, and be ready to save the tape if necessary. If the machine ejects it while there's still tape caught on the guides or around the head drum, you're in trouble.

Interestingly, my 30 year old Pioneer Laser Disc player works great and has had no service whatsoever. In sharp contrast, you're lucky to get 3 years out of the modern-day-equivalent DVD player

I doubt that further cleaning will improve your current VCR, sounds more like electronic alignment and/or leaky capacitors. Good luck!
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)