Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
jvc br-7000ur problem

bigbadwolf2010
New User

Sep 4, 2010, 10:35 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1974 views)
Shortcut
jvc br-7000ur problem Can't Post

Hi everybody I am new to this forum and I have a problem with my jvc vcr. I haven't used this vcr for a while so I decided to start using it so I popped a tape in it and I heard a little squeal and I ejected the tape and it had a jagged edge. I decided to use rubber renue to recondition the pinch roller and then I put it back and put in another tape and then all of a sudden the tape guides wouldn't engage, the video head was only spinning. I decided to leave it and let it rest and after wards I tried another tape and all of a sudden I see the waring light blinking. I noticed the tape guides engaged but nothing was moving.I appreciate your help. Thanks!

Barry777
User

Sep 4, 2010, 11:48 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1971 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bigbadwolf2010] jvc br-7000ur problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Wolf,

I have 3 of the BR-7000 series, and the first thing I should say is that you can't get pinch rollers for that model anymore - even a generic replacement. If your roller has any cracks, it will damage your tapes eventually. It's very sad since the 7000's were great, solid and heavy machines. But one of mine is in the garage with parts stolen from it to fix other ones - all because of a $5 pinch roller that can't be found anymore.

Now, on to your problem. It sounds like the mechanism is sluggish from gummed-up lubricant. This happens a lot when VCR's sit for years without being used. It may work itself out if you keep trying to operate it, especially if you sort of help it along when it's trying to cycle by assisting the guide posts around the head drum in PLAY mode with careful fingers. Most JVC professional machines are all direct drive except for possibly a small loading belt. You might look for one, but the main problem is a stiff mechanism. Just to find the problem, you can spray a little silicone onto any gears that mesh, especially worm gears and control cam pawls. Once the machine is operating smoothly, you want to go back with better and thicker lubricant that is safe for plastics. The 7000's might actually have steel gears, however - the machine is certainly heavy enough to contain them.

Good luck, and come back if you need more help.
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)