red and blue tinted bands

Jared867
New User

Jan 27, 2009, 12:32 AM

Post #1 of 7 (2063 views)
Shortcut
red and blue tinted bands Can't Post

Hi,
I have 4 different vcr's, a panasonic, an emerson and a ge. All are a few years old and havent been used in a couple years but I am trying to record video tapes that I want to keep to dvd. When I play a tape I get red and blue tinted "bands" going across the picture and in some cases the picture will even be a little shakey. Even the tapes that have only been played once, or not at all, do the same thing. I used a Maxell Dry Head Cleaning tape on it but that didnt help.
I was wondering if anyone knew what my problem was? I really dont want to buy a new vcr only to use it for a week... if i dont have to anyway.
Here is a link to an image of my screen. You can see the banding very well in this image. This is while playing Lord of the Rings. A tape that was only ever played 1 time and then put away.
http://www.thecomputerhobbyist.com/images/vcr-image.jpg
Is thsi something a good cleaning can fix or is there more to it than that?

techchris
Veteran

Jan 27, 2009, 11:01 AM

Post #2 of 7 (2058 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jared867] red and blue tinted bands [In reply to] Can't Post

are you saying the picture is the same from all four VCR's?if so, it would be more likely the tv is faulty or the tapes have been near something magnetic

Jared867
New User

Jan 27, 2009, 6:29 PM

Post #3 of 7 (2053 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] red and blue tinted bands [In reply to] Can't Post

hmm TV picture is perfect when watching cable/satelite and dvd. There isnt any magnets within 6 to 8 feet of the tapes. Tapes have been stored up high on a shelf for the last 3 or 4 years.

so it isn't any of those 2 possibilities.

denonjapan
Veteran

Mar 7, 2009, 6:24 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1992 views)
Shortcut

At this time, try a wet cleaning solution and do it manually. do not rewind tapes from the vcr.

denonjapan
made in japan

rrobor
Veteran

Mar 8, 2009, 7:17 AM

Post #5 of 7 (1989 views)
Shortcut

You have stored these VCRs for more than 2 years they were old when stored. Now you have dried out capacitors, or the other thing is they dont quite match the TV. You didnt want the tapes for >4years, really you dont need them. To copy VCR to DVD it comes out flat, the memories in your head are far better than the crap you will get off these tapes.

GOD
New User

Oct 5, 2009, 8:10 AM

Post #6 of 7 (1787 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] red and blue tinted bands [In reply to] Can't Post

[url=http://www.google.com]click here to know more

In Reply To

Barry777
User

Jan 18, 2010, 6:50 AM

Post #7 of 7 (1693 views)
Shortcut

The first course of action with any VCR electrical or picture quality problem is to replace all electrolytic capacitors on the power supply board. Bet that fixes it; electrolytics only have an expected lifespan of around 20 years.
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.17 s on (CGI/1.1)