Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: VCR Repair Forum:
sound, but no picture

feathers50
New User

Sep 30, 2010, 5:43 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1526 views)
Shortcut
sound, but no picture Can't Post

My vcr suddenly has a white speckled picture. It was fine the other day. No warning that it was going bad at all. I tried several tapes and the all did the same thing. Do you think a cleaning tape would work? We have been through a new vcr every year. The picture always goes, but the sound stays. Why does this keep happening?

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 30, 2010, 11:33 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [feathers50] sound, but no picture [In reply to] Can't Post

Try cleaning tape twice as it instructs. If it shows no sign of improvement, trying the cleaning tape MORE is NOT going to help.
Old, dirty tapes, I bet each year's VCRis less expensive than the prior year's and it has been getting very hard to find a stand alone VCR.

Or maybe you're cursed?Cool

-------------------------

Barry777
User

Oct 1, 2010, 4:10 AM

Post #3 of 3 (1522 views)
Shortcut
Re: [feathers50] sound, but no picture [In reply to] Can't Post

All VCR's need a periodic cleaning at least once a year. A cleaning tape usually does the trick, but mostly what they do is just drag the dirt and gunk a little farther down the tape path. If they're not cleaned, you lose the picture. It's much better to actually get in there and clean the video heads, and I'm sure you can find out how by doing an internet search on the subject.

Once in a while, simply letting a regular tape play for awhile will clean off the heads too, and restore the picture - but this is only a temporary solution. It's not hard to clean the heads, especially on a newer VCR since there's very little in your way once you have the cover off.
Barry Fone - VCR Repair hobbyist and professional FAA Repair Station Avionics Bench Technician (top level). TEST EQUIPMENT: (4) Sencore VC93 VCR Analyzers, (11) Tentel gauges, Sencore VA48 and (2) VA62 Video Analyzers, Sigma Electronics TSG-375 NTSC/SMPTE Video Generator, several VCR Alignment Tapes, plus countless Oscilloscopes, Frequency Counters, Wow and Flutter Meters, Distortion Analyzers, Vectorscope, 136-channel Logic Analyzer, Signature Analyzer . . . . VIDEO GEAR: (6) JVC BR-S822U's, (3) JVC BR-7000 series, (3) JVC BR-S500U, (2) JVC BR-S800U, JVC GR-800U and (2) GR-860U Editing Controllers, Sony FXE-100 Video Switcher/Effects Generator, (5) Time Code Generator/Readers, (1) Sony SLO-1800 (Beta), (2) Alesis ADAT-XT, (1) Sony DXC-1200 TV Camera, Pioneer VP-1000 Laser Disc Player plus many consumer grade Beta and VHS VCR's. Passionate electronics enthusiast since 1973...most anything except computers. Check out my collection at www.barrys8trackrepair.com/MyVideoGear.html

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)