Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Big Screen TV:
52 inch Magnavox question on screen

a1930ford1
New User

Jun 19, 2005, 8:34 PM

Post #1 of 2 (3301 views)
Shortcut
52 inch Magnavox question on screen Can't Post

!st post for me, so excuse any errors here.

My 52" Magnavox Big Screen tv worked fine until this past weekend. The picture went out. We get sound, but no picture. The thing was made in June, 1990, I believe and we have owned it since new We had it repaired in 2000, when something was done about the color not mixing correctly (not a technical whiz on tv's so don't know what the problems were then). Any rate, the chassis model # is PTV-50, serial # 77163361, Model # is RK8558 AK04.

The set usually gives a great picture and has been a great asset over the years. The repair costs are difficult to extimate, as not just anyone works on them these days, I suspect. The wife says it is actually cheaper to chunk it and purchase a 32-36" television for about what we would likely pay in repair costs. Seems tvs have gotten disposable over the years. However, I am always resistant to change and I really do like this set.

My question is, is there a quick way to determine what the exact cause or likely cause of the picture tube going blank (black) is? Is the tube out or is there some other problem that may be the cause? Is it something that the novice can check out? I unerstand safety with capacitors and such and am not just going to open her up and dig in without safety in mind. An old RCA we once owned had a reset button in the rear, but I don't find much on the Magnavox. Any tips or such to offer.

Thanks,

Huey

Bursma
User

Jun 22, 2005, 1:17 PM

Post #2 of 2 (3284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a1930ford1] 52 inch Magnavox question on screen [In reply to] Can't Post

Because there is no standard for putting together televisions, there is no standard for knowing what is the problem. You'll probably have to take this to a repair shop to get a clear idea of what's wrong.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)