Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Big Screen TV:
How Hot Is The ICs Convergence Card Heatsink Suppose To Get???

EverydayDiesel
New User

Apr 21, 2008, 11:09 PM

Post #1 of 11 (5234 views)
Shortcut
How Hot Is The ICs Convergence Card Heatsink Suppose To Get??? Can't Post

I replaced my IC convergence chips with new ones (the exact model number STK392-110) The only thing different was the BL10 in the top right. Does that number matter?

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x40/everydayturbodiesel/IMG_1112.jpg

Now after about 15 minutes of watching tv, the heat sinks are so hot you cant even keep your hand on them. Is this normal???

(This post was edited by EverydayDiesel on Apr 21, 2008, 11:11 PM)

zip
User

Apr 27, 2008, 2:52 AM

Post #2 of 11 (5216 views)
Shortcut
Re: [EverydayDiesel] How Hot Is The ICs Convergence Card Heatsink Suppose To Get??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes they run very hot, this would be normal. You need to check all the resistors around the ic's with a ohm meter some of these will burn out when the ic's go bad and this will cause the new ic's to fail too quickly. But if your picture looks good with the new ic's in place you should be ok. Did you use any heat sink compound on the ic's before you installed them?

EverydayDiesel
New User

Apr 27, 2008, 8:07 AM

Post #3 of 11 (5214 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zip] How Hot Is The ICs Convergence Card Heatsink Suppose To Get??? [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the reply, the picture looks better then ever.

I did use a good bit of compound before installing

Chrisry696
New User

Oct 15, 2008, 2:08 AM

Post #4 of 11 (5089 views)
Shortcut
Re: [EverydayDiesel] How Hot Is The ICs Convergence Card Heatsink Suppose To Get??? [In reply to] Can't Post

You used the cheap knock-off's. If you get the original sanyo chips with a 5 digit source code, they will run cooler and last longer. You'll have to replace yours before a year if your lucky. That's where a t.v. tech experience come to play and also why we charge to replace them. You can't get cheap ones for $12.00 and expect them to last. They do run hot. So when you use cheap chips, they REALLY run hot, then POP!!!!!

dkdhas3
User

Oct 15, 2008, 3:09 AM

Post #5 of 11 (5088 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chrisry696] How Hot Is The ICs Convergence Card Heatsink Suppose To Get??? [In reply to] Can't Post

hitachi now is suggesting the STK394-160E . i have had very good luck with them so far they run 10 or 15 degrees cooler and no immediate reworks , although they are become almost a thing of the past, i get excited when i have a convergence repair and i dont have to take 300 screws out to take the back off. to test anything or replace anything. :)have you been using these 160' s Chrisry696??

Chrisry696
New User

Oct 15, 2008, 7:22 PM

Post #6 of 11 (5085 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dkdhas3] How Hot Is The ICs Convergence Card Heatsink Suppose To Get??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not yet because I still have alot of the others in stock still. BTW, do you do this for a living? Do you know about the site that's JUST for repair techs? You have to tell them your experience/intentions before they "let you join". Eliminates all the do-it-your-self people and the idiots. I can turn you on to it if you need to. Let me know. The others have used the Hitachi's with good luck from what I've read. I bought a few, just haven't used them yet. Your right on about the joy in convergance repairs. I just love how, the more I read on this forum, the more I see people are wanting to know what little part is it they can just plug in and have the set work. You got people who think a flyback just unscrews. I had a guy come in the shop with the fly in his hands, with about a 6" round hunk of the circuit board still attached from when he ripped it out. He said he just needed this little part!!!!! Oh My God!!! Alot of that!!!! This guy here atleast knows alittle something, so I don't mind giving alittle advise. That way if he does have a problem down the road, he'll atleast know why it happened. I even put a fan on the heatsinks for the really good customers. You know the ones that you'd do most anything for because thay are so nice and understand what we do and how hard we work.

dkdhas3
User

Oct 15, 2008, 7:50 PM

Post #7 of 11 (5084 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chrisry696] How Hot Is The ICs Convergence Card Heatsink Suppose To Get??? [In reply to] Can't Post

i do full time tv repair for all manufacturers and quite a few war. companies, very little cash work because my trip charg and diagnosis is through the roof. i am very new at this forum thing and i think lately after i read the past you over posting on mien that i may be doing some people more harm than good. the flyback thing for example, these are very difficult to get out and i still struggle when i have one. there is no way somone could just do this . you made me realize this . i was not aware of a serviceman sight. thats nice. i would love to know more about that, i do know the type of customer, i hit about 9 homes a day and have for the past 9 years (when crt rear projections were the new fangled digital product, wow its come along way in just ten years)for this company, so i have had a lot of these and the exact opposite were i cringe at the name. please let me know about the site you refer to.

thanks
dkdhas3

iwillbackit
User

Jan 10, 2009, 8:04 AM

Post #8 of 11 (4925 views)
Shortcut

yes, it's normal.

buy cheap DVD

The Simpsons Seasons 1-19 DVD Boxset $200

EverydayDiesel
New User

Jan 11, 2009, 5:52 AM

Post #9 of 11 (4920 views)
Shortcut

<span contenteditable="false"><table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width="100%"><!--reply--><tr><td width="2%"><hr width="100%" noshade size="1" color="#A1A576"></td><td width="10%" align=center><font size=1 face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">In&nbsp;Reply&nbsp;To</font></td><td width="87%"><hr width="100%" noshade color="#A1A576" size=1></td></tr></table></span><div style="margin-left: 30px">Not yet because I still have alot of the others in stock still. BTW, do you do this for a living? Do you know about the site that's JUST for repair techs? You have to tell them your experience/intentions before they "let you join". Eliminates all the do-it-your-self people and the idiots. I can turn you on to it if you need to. Let me know. The others have used the Hitachi's with good luck from what I've read. I bought a few, just haven't used them yet. Your right on about the joy in convergance repairs. I just love how, the more I read on this forum, the more I see people are wanting to know what little part is it they can just plug in and have the set work. You got people who think a flyback just unscrews. I had a guy come in the shop with the fly in his hands, with about a 6" round hunk of the circuit board still attached from when he ripped it out. He said he just needed this little part!!!!! Oh My God!!! Alot of that!!!! This guy here atleast knows alittle something, so I don't mind giving alittle advise. That way if he does have a problem down the road, he'll atleast know why it happened. I even put a fan on the heatsinks for the really good customers. You know the ones that you'd do most anything for because thay are so nice and understand what we do and how hard we work.</div><span contenteditable="false"><table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width="100%"><!--/reply--><tr><td><hr width="100%" noshade size=1 color="#A1A576"></td></tr></table></span>

Relax. No one said you didnt work hard but if you think im going to pay 400+ dollars for someone to solder in a 12 dollar chip you have another thing coming. This took me less then an hour to replace from start to finish.

With that being said, im not your average customer.

EverydayDiesel
New User

Jan 11, 2009, 5:54 AM

Post #10 of 11 (4919 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zip] How Hot Is The ICs Convergence Card Heatsink Suppose To Get??? [In reply to] Can't Post

<span contenteditable="false"><table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width="100%"><!--reply--><tr><td width="2%"><hr width="100%" noshade size="1" color="#A1A576"></td><td width="10%" align=center><font size=1 face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">In&nbsp;Reply&nbsp;To</font></td><td width="87%"><hr width="100%" noshade color="#A1A576" size=1></td></tr></table></span><div style="margin-left: 30px">Yes they run very hot, this would be normal. You need to check all the resistors around the ic's with a ohm meter some of these will burn out when the ic's go bad and this will cause the new ic's to fail too quickly. But if your picture looks good with the new ic's in place you should be ok. Did you use any heat sink compound on the ic's before you installed them?</div><span contenteditable="false"><table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width="100%"><!--/reply--><tr><td><hr width="100%" noshade size=1 color="#A1A576"></td></tr></table></span>

Thank you for the answer. Yes I used compound and the swap went very smoothly.

EverydayDiesel
New User

Jan 11, 2009, 5:55 AM

Post #11 of 11 (4918 views)
Shortcut

<span contenteditable="false"><table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width="100%"><!--reply--><tr><td width="2%"><hr width="100%" noshade size="1" color="#A1A576"></td><td width="10%" align=center><font size=1 face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">In&nbsp;Reply&nbsp;To</font></td><td width="87%"><hr width="100%" noshade color="#A1A576" size=1></td></tr></table></span><div style="margin-left: 30px">You used the cheap knock-off's. If you get the original sanyo chips with a 5 digit source code, they will run cooler and last longer. You'll have to replace yours before a year if your lucky. That's where a t.v. tech experience come to play and also why we charge to replace them. You can't get cheap ones for $12.00 and expect them to last. They do run hot. So when you use cheap chips, they REALLY run hot, then POP!!!!!</div><span contenteditable="false"><table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width="100%"><!--/reply--><tr><td><hr width="100%" noshade size=1 color="#A1A576"></td></tr></table></span>

Im not sure about the knockoffs but its almost been a year and its still like a new tv. I just used the chips that were available locally to me.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)