Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Big Screen TV:
Newbie here need help on Panasonic big screen

mollydodger
New User

Nov 11, 2006, 8:15 PM

Post #1 of 7 (2897 views)
Shortcut
Newbie here need help on Panasonic big screen Can't Post

Hello! I have a Panasonic big screen model PT51SF30R, chasis #AEDP808. It is around 15 years old but has very few hours on it. I would estimate less than 500 hours. I turned it on today and it has some sort of distortion on the screen. The best way I can describe it is it looks like the waves you see when a computer is shown on a TV program or when you place an electric motor near a PC screen. The waves are in a definite rythum. I have turned of every light, appliance and other electrical device in my home to see if any particular one makes a difference. Nothing changes the distortion. Can anyone here offer any advice?? Many thanks!!!

(This post was edited by mollydodger on Nov 11, 2006, 11:05 PM)

maizenbluedoc
New User

Nov 12, 2006, 10:55 PM

Post #2 of 7 (2881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mollydodger] Newbie here need help on Panasonic big screen [In reply to] Can't Post

The first thing I would do is to check all connections. After that, I don't have any pertinent technical advice.

mollydodger
New User

Nov 13, 2006, 2:08 AM

Post #3 of 7 (2876 views)
Shortcut
Re: [maizenbluedoc] Newbie here need help on Panasonic big screen [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks but I've already done that. A tech from another board suggested that it may be a capacitor problem. Anyone here think that may be it? If it is, what do the capacitors look like and can they be easily replaced? Thanks!!!

MOtvGuy
User

Nov 13, 2006, 4:01 AM

Post #4 of 7 (2875 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mollydodger] Newbie here need help on Panasonic big screen [In reply to] Can't Post

15 year old set? Take it to the nearest dumpster.

BTW, a 15 year old set only run 500 hours during that time was turned on for a total of 5 minutes a day during that 15 years. I really doubt your estimated total hours. Wink

(This post was edited by MOtvGuy on Nov 13, 2006, 4:06 AM)

mollydodger
New User

Nov 13, 2006, 4:23 AM

Post #5 of 7 (2872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MOtvGuy] Newbie here need help on Panasonic big screen [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the math lesson. That's not what I asked for. Just so you understand, the set was installed as part of a media room in my lower level. Then my daughter moved back in and the set was disconnected and stoored for years. About three year ago she moved back out and I hooked it back up. My wife never learned how to use all the equipment and still can't turn it on. I have used it only a few times. I assure you, my math is better than yours. Now, how about some sugestions on how to fix an old TV that has LOW hours on it. Thanks

MOtvGuy
User

Nov 13, 2006, 12:55 PM

Post #6 of 7 (2870 views)
Shortcut

I gave you a good suggestion. A television set sitting is no better than a car sitting for long periods of time. There are a multitude of electrolytic capacitors in that set that simply dry up. You could replace a bunch of them today and fix one problem only to have a few more fail next week. Similar to an old car sitting in a garage for years without anyone driving it, the belts and seals will dry up and then begin failing once someone starts driving it again.

Big Screen technology has come a long way since that set was produced. You can get a pretty decent HD CRT based rear projector these days for under $800 that will put the picture on that Panasonic to shame (even if it was running right).

mollydodger
New User

Nov 15, 2006, 2:57 AM

Post #7 of 7 (2864 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MOtvGuy] Newbie here need help on Panasonic big screen [In reply to] Can't Post

Got the problem fixed. Cost me $75 bucks. Had a tech come to the house and he fiound the old Panasonic VCR that was part of the equipment line up was causing the picture problem. Disconnected it and rerouted the cables to the Denon amplifier, DVD and satellite receiver and all is well. Glad I didn't throw the old dead TV into the dumpster!! Thanks to all who helped!!! Anybody want a dead VCR????

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)