Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Big Screen TV:
Rca big screen wont turn on

dyerblak1
New User

Dec 31, 2005, 7:16 AM

Post #1 of 3 (7200 views)
Shortcut
Rca big screen wont turn on Can't Post

have a RCA model #p61830bllg1 and i came down to turn it on and there was nothing. I checked power supply and it was ok. I do HVAC service for a living so I opened it up and checked the fuse and the power and it was all fine. While doing so I had the power removed. I then noticed that my ultimate tv reciever would not come on either. Now this has happened before to my reciever so I just unplugged it also. When I replugged the tv back in it came on. Did the same to the receiver and same result. All better. Well tonight same thing....tv not coming on. So I removed the power for 30 minutes but nothing. When I plugged it back in I did notice a quick power charge as if the tv is on when i plug it in. I have had a odd faint humming noise inside around the...looks like a transformer...since i have owned it. That noise is still there, but have no idea what it is. Could someone give me some idea what is going on?

DJschwar
New User

Dec 31, 2005, 7:33 AM

Post #2 of 3 (7192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dyerblak1] Rca big screen wont turn on [In reply to] Can't Post

Unplug the unit.

Check the Horizontal output transistor, which should be located near the "transformer" you are referring to, does this "transformer" have a thick wire (or three) coming from the top of it ( usually red)? That would be the flyback transformer. Close to this is a three-legged transistor, black, that is mounted up against a piece of metal (heat sink), to help keep it cool. as the picture shows, test resistance between all these legs and if they are are shorted, it's a goner. if not, you may have some bad capacitors in the power supply that are not discharging themselves and that's why sometimes when unplugged for a while, it will then work. as far as I know, someone else may have some better advice. But always unplugged the unit when doing ohms testing, also I find it best to use an analog meter with a needle (no lcd display) because it shows better ohm deflection and easier to test transistor. I usually do this test with the transistor in the circuit.

dyerblak1
New User

Jan 1, 2006, 1:11 AM

Post #3 of 3 (7187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DJschwar] Rca big screen wont turn on [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your help... a few question though. Is the power supply caps or the whole power supply fixable?

I must also ask, the cord that comes from the wall outlet comes into the tv cabinet and then plugs into the circuit board, where is the main power supply you speak of? And how do i check that?

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)