Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Big Screen TV:
Save Your Money! Sony KP51HS40 Scan Line Solution.

SonyConundrums
New User

Oct 10, 2005, 1:22 AM

Post #1 of 2 (1737 views)
Shortcut
Save Your Money! Sony KP51HS40 Scan Line Solution. Can't Post

I would like to personally thank the person who posted the fix for the Sony KP51HW40.

- If your problem are those dang scan lines, red, green, blue, or all three (I know you've seen it!) here is the plain english, simple solution that will take you, not the repairman, less than five minutes to save your 3000$ baby. -NOTE- This fix also applies to televisions which seem to increase in brightness until they fizzle out. Like my TV. Here it is...

BEFORE TRYING TO FIDDLE WITH HIGH AMPERAGE TOYS <<< UNPLUG YOUR TELEVISION!!! >>>

Step 1: Locate the two screws under the vinyl cloth cover. They will be covered by plastic tabs, a small flathead will take care of them. Remove the screws with a phillips.

Step 2: Jiggle the grille off the front, don't yank, or else bigger problems ensue, trust me. Might take some doin' but it does come off.

Step 3: Between the speakers, there will be a plywood cover, move away the wiring in the way, and remove the screws holding it there. Behind the plywood you will see the three CRT's, a bunch of boards, cables, and mutant dust bunnies. But most important a small black panel which contains six phillips dials.

Step 4: DO NOT TOUCH THE TOP THREE SCREWS! They are calibrated by the factory, hence the white lock-tite. The bottom three are voltage regulators, soon your going to need to plug in your set, so be really, really... really careful. Turn the bottom three screws completely COUNTER-clockwise, to set them at their lowest level. Go the wrong way you may need to call the fire departement, maybe, just DO NOT GO CLOCKWISE.

Step 5: Plug in your TV and turn it on, now be very careful, there is a lot of juice running through those guns. There should be a signal, like rabbit ears, going in to adjust the colors. If your set still exhibits the problems we are trying to fix, I aplologize, your TV may need more help than I can impart.

Step 6: You should notice the scan lines are gone, and if your problem was my burnout effect, that shouldn't happen either. Here is the tricky part, I can't talk you through this but you will notice the colors and sharpness may be off. You will most likely need to fine tune your dials to achive optimal picture. I personally increased the three dials a little each at a time, until I saw the telltale scan lines of each color, and I backed off accordingly. Once you have a good picture, try a flash focus to get a black screen which may reveal faint scan lines. Do further adjustments, then put the set back together.

My result was a picture that seemed better than new. I sincerely hope your results will be similar. I saved hundreds in repair costs, and thousands not having to buy a new TV.

GO LEAFS GO!!! (I can't wait!)

We may not win the cup, but the Sens are all we need to beat. (Who likes Senators anyway?, I kid... wait, no I don't.)

(This post was edited by SonyConundrums on Oct 10, 2005, 3:09 PM)

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2005, 9:25 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1696 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SonyConundrums] Save Your Money! Sony KP51HS40 Scan Line Solution. [In reply to] Can't Post

Easy way to tell is simply put the set to a input that has NO SIGNAL video 5 for example, turn each one till sligt tint then just down to black do this to all three then flash focus
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)