Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Big Screen TV:
magnavox 52in tv. blue, red and green tubes are dirty

phillips0018
New User

Aug 4, 2006, 4:53 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3163 views)
Shortcut
magnavox 52in tv. blue, red and green tubes are dirty Can't Post

hi. i bought this magnavox 52in tv about 2 weeks ago from a guy on ebay for 75 bucks. i opened it up to clean the tubes and clean the mirror on the back. when i turned on the tv and looked into the tubes there is like dirt and just nasty stuff inside of the tubes. now i took off the top lens and it looks like the dirt is even deeper. does anybody know how to take them completely apart so i can throughly clean the tubes?

hackman
New User

Aug 9, 2006, 12:39 AM

Post #2 of 4 (3152 views)
Shortcut
Re: [phillips0018] magnavox 52in tv. blue, red and green tubes are dirty [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a procedure to replace the coolant in CRT Picture Tubes, That is Liquid Glycol (almost like the stuff you put in my Automotive Radiator) but in this case, it’s a Clear (medical grade). It usually costs around $10/$15 a bottle, depending on how much is needed.
The procedure is of course in with the kit, I don't have a NAP part number, I am sure someone out there can help you out, else you can get the Glycol from any elect distributor.
you will need a syringe, and sometimes new plugs for the tube (they are little rubber stops) and a container for the 'removed Glycol' to be 'PROPERLY LABELED and Recycled' do not put in drain, dump in ground or any other illegal matter.
You will need to remove the stuff that’s in the tubes, put into container, make container Glycol Refuse - To be Recycled , and take it to a place the recycles Auto Coolant (Ex: JiffyLube/Pennzoil/ect) Proper disposal is the key, since this stuff looks like water it could be mistaken for water (we don't want anyone getting hurt over chemicals)
Flush the tube with distilled water until all contaminates are removed, it may take 5 to 6 flushings to do that, if the scale is too bad, and can't be removed, the tube may need replaced?!?!?!?
Extract all distilled water from tube, Apply Glycol to tube (make sure no AIR BUBBLE in tube), apply stopper (if one is provided) repeat for each tube.
Things to remember, if picture needs replaced, is the unit worth it? If you can live with crystalline, then leave it alone. But if you want to try to restore to 100% its going to require work, no shortcutting, else problem could be as easy a burnt out tube (it only takes about 10 seconds of no coolant in a CRT tube for it burn out (the tube is so small in has so much HV it burns a hole in the front of the tube...)
It would be nice to have the Schematics for this unit, Observe HV (HV can harm and/or kill) be CAREFUL!, the factory NAP refill kit would be nice cause it comes with a few extra things that you have to buy extra from distributor (Syringe/Coolant/Stops/Directions), and as always, EYE Protection, I don't want to hear that someone got Glycol in there Eye...
J. (hackman)
My 2.1 Cents worth.

Larry E
User

Aug 11, 2006, 12:54 AM

Post #3 of 4 (3146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [phillips0018] magnavox 52in tv. blue, red and green tubes are dirty [In reply to] Can't Post

If you really want to attempt this yourself you should order the service manual first of all, then order the coolant from any other manufacturer besides Philips or your problem will repeat itself, be prepared for a long and dirty job, do one tube at a time so if you can`t figure out where something goes you can look at the other tube(s), you`d be waaay better off having a tech do this one, Larry E

MOtvGuy
User

Oct 14, 2006, 10:03 AM

Post #4 of 4 (3050 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Larry E] magnavox 52in tv. blue, red and green tubes are dirty [In reply to] Can't Post

If the tube chambers are that dirty it's usually easiest to simply pull each tube, drain, disassemble the front lens assy's and thoroughly clean it out with a rag, reassemble and then refill.

If you don't know what you're doing you're best to leave this to a pro since improper filling can cause leakage which can lead to potetial fire issues.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)