Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Big Screen TV:
rca convergence

dwight
New User

Dec 22, 2004, 6:30 PM

Post #1 of 5 (14992 views)
Shortcut
rca convergence Can't Post

I have a 52" rca rear projection tv , an early model , My problem is that the colors do not line up red - green- blue . I know that your suppose to get a tech to adjust the convergence of these but I would like to do it myself since it is a old set. The adjustments are on the front below the screen between the speakers.

What I don't know is the order or terms of the adjustment screws . Any help would be great. I do know that it is a time comsuming project .

Thanks Dwight

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2005, 10:28 PM

Post #2 of 5 (14878 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dwight] rca convergence [In reply to] Can't Post

For some reason this aint getting across so I'll screem it

WHEN CONVERGANCE AL OF A SUDDEN GOES OUT NO ADJUSTMENT IN THE WORLD WILL BRING IT BACK, A COMPONET HAS FAILED AND ONCE THIS IS FINALY REPAIRED ALL THE FIDLING WITH CONTROLS NOW HAS TO BE UNDONE BY A PROFCINAL TV TECH....AND WE CHARGE THU DA NOSE FOR THIS

Ok with that out of the way you didnt provide a model number but the way you describe the set it could be either the 169 or 195 chassis the 195 has the power supply for convergance mounted separate from other boards and this module will have the STK730-010 power Ic fail along with a cap or two, when this hapens convergance goes way out the window. provide a model number and tell us how far out of convergance you are and will go from there
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

jimr1946
New User

Mar 17, 2005, 3:25 PM

Post #3 of 5 (14816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] rca convergence [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that we all see RED maybe I can get some help also. I have a RCA P52770EB I have had it worked on several times the first time he said it needed the tubes resealed and a high voltage diode replaced to the tune of 496.00. The first time the TV would not turn on. The second time he came back and the set would sound like a loud squeal. He replaced the High voltage fly back trans. (at cost) both times the picture seamed dark and the conv was off a little he said he would have to come back and readjust but never did. I set it as best as could do with conv on remote but still not right it has a white shadow on letters and now I see a hot spot are brighter than the rest of picture towards the top say about 3 inches down and 3 inches of brighter than the rest. But now on all pictures just on the bright are lighter ones. Can I do anything I did bright the brightness up a little on the front panel of 30 knobs are so but if I had directions are something to go buy would be nice. My experience is in building circuit boards not TV repair thanks in advance JimSmile

sagewise
New User

Sep 6, 2005, 9:18 AM

Post #4 of 5 (14207 views)
Shortcut

Hello Mike,Cool

Glad to see you know your stuff. I was given a big screen TV RCA Modle P60920BL Chassie # PTK195KC . I am also having probs with convergence all three guns work and actually pic looks great from a distance. Up close you can make out the 3 colors R G B . My question, is there a switch i can flip to get a test pattern up on the screen so i can try to realign myself. The front plastic screen was damaged when the ppl tried to move it upstairs. yrs ago i had an old sony which i tryed to align then found out that they were preset at factory and i would have to buy a new board for 250 after buying the schematic for 50 then my cousin shorted the dang thing out so its now a coffee table at my parents house lol... I am thinking this one might be an easier fix. I removed the screen and am in the process of cleaning all the dust that settled inside it. If i get it looking better I might even buy a new screen for it. When i removed the front grill and the front pannel I could see the adjustment area and controls. There are 3 controls on top one for each color RGB and below it has 3 controls with black electrical tape over them that is for the focous. Do you have any advice for a mr fixit. Since the convergence is allready messed up and the tv is out of warrenty should i just mark the location of the 3 RGB controls on top and see if i can get lucky. I dont need to mess with focous the pic actually looks great just hum about 1/2 in or less of convergence its very defined kind like i see the 3 colors spaced equally.left to right They could have dropped the tv it has a good mark on front of it where the screen got cracked. In fact is there a way to adjust the lense that projects the image on the mylar mirror then onto the screen? A free service repair manual or even just the alignment chapter would be great or anything you think will help solve this nightmare.Crazy Sorry for the rambeling and many questions. I just hope I can get this looking a lil better I already have a place in the bed room waiting for it.Cool LOL any advice would be greatly appreciated.Wink

BriteLeaf
New User

Oct 2, 2005, 3:04 AM

Post #5 of 5 (14058 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
For some reason this aint getting across so I'll screem it

WHEN CONVERGANCE AL OF A SUDDEN GOES OUT NO ADJUSTMENT IN THE WORLD WILL BRING IT BACK, A COMPONET HAS FAILED AND ONCE THIS IS FINALY REPAIRED ALL THE FIDLING WITH CONTROLS NOW HAS TO BE UNDONE BY A PROFCINAL TV TECH....AND WE CHARGE THU DA NOSE FOR THIS

Ok with that out of the way you didnt provide a model number but the way you describe the set it could be either the 169 or 195 chassis the 195 has the power supply for convergance mounted separate from other boards and this module will have the STK730-010 power Ic fail along with a cap or two, when this hapens convergance goes way out the window. provide a model number and tell us how far out of convergance you are and will go from there

Ok... I was given an RCA 56" Big Screen TV. I was also given the books with this set. The Model number is P56812BL and the Chasis number is PTK195AP and it was manufactured in November 1998. The set is only 7 years old, so I'd think it still has a lot of life in it, though I have no real frame of reference about this.

The convergence seems to have gone out on it. In a stair step effect, we have red at the bottom, green in the middle, and blue at the top. I hope I am explaining that right so that whoever reads this post that can help me doesn't think I'm too dumb to tell them what is going on.

Anyway, the book has absolutely NOTHING relating to convergence. None of the menus I've seen has it either. Am I doomed to see the picture like this? I bet if I put on some 3D glasses I'd see everything just fine lol.

Anyway, any help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)