why does my new HDTV look like crap?

scurvy1
New User

May 22, 2005, 5:28 PM

Post #1 of 12 (4798 views)
Shortcut
why does my new HDTV look like crap? Can't Post

i just got this new JVC tv.. http://www.jvc.com/...athId=114&page=1

IT makes all my dvds look like vhs, xbox with the hi def pack looks like crap, like playstation 1.. and of course cable looks like crap.. do i need a new dvd player or something? i hear there are HD dvd players now? the one i have is a couple year old sony dvd/surround sound system.. its hooked up with s-video.. looks awful.. dont understand this at all.Unsure

(This post was edited by scurvy1 on May 22, 2005, 6:13 PM)

TANK1
Enthusiast

May 22, 2005, 10:09 PM

Post #2 of 12 (4787 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scurvy1] why does my new HDTV look like crap? [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a good Hd set.
Your DVD player should a progressive player and connected with component cables to one of your hd connections.Be sure to turn the progessive button on.
If your dvd is not a progressive player you should upgrade to one.
Your cable box should HD and connected with a dvi cable.The channels 2-99 are non digital on a cable system and will look poor.The digital channels should look decent and the HD channels should look great.

X-box should be connected to the other Hd component imput with component video cables.

scurvy1
New User

May 23, 2005, 5:17 AM

Post #3 of 12 (4782 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TANK1] why does my new HDTV look like crap? [In reply to] Can't Post

i have my dvd player hooked up with s-video, and when i tried to switch it to progressive scan the picture dissapeared.. so i have to have component cables hooked up to the dvd player to use progressive scan is that right?

also my tv has this:

Digital Image Scaling Technology (D.I.S.T.)

Every HDTV has the capacity to reproduce high quality images from HD sources, but when it comes to other sources, like DVDs (480i) or NTSC TV signals, they are almost over qualified. JVC?s 4th generation D.I.S.T. is an exclusive digital algorithm that seamlessly up-scales any video source to display at 720p so the final image is seen at the highest possible resolution.

is this really a good thing? i cant find the option to turn it off

(This post was edited by scurvy1 on May 23, 2005, 5:22 AM)

TANK1
Enthusiast

May 23, 2005, 1:12 PM

Post #4 of 12 (4780 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
i have my dvd player hooked up with s-video, and when i tried to switch it to progressive scan the picture dissapeared.. so i have to have component cables hooked up to the dvd player to use progressive scan is that right?

also my tv has this:

Digital Image Scaling Technology (D.I.S.T.)

Every HDTV has the capacity to reproduce high quality images from HD sources, but when it comes to other sources, like DVDs (480i) or NTSC TV signals, they are almost over qualified. JVC?s 4th generation D.I.S.T. is an exclusive digital algorithm that seamlessly up-scales any video source to display at 720p so the final image is seen at the highest possible resolution.

is this really a good thing? i cant find the option to turn it off

scurvy1
New User

May 23, 2005, 2:37 PM

Post #5 of 12 (4777 views)
Shortcut

ok you didnt reply, just quoted me.

TANK1
Enthusiast

May 23, 2005, 2:47 PM

Post #6 of 12 (4775 views)
Shortcut

For HD you must connect using component video cables or dvi or hdmi connections.

Your owners manuel should have instructions on how to turn off DIST.Try it on ,then try it off and then decide.

When you use s-video,rca or rg6 connections they are non-hd connections.

If you are only using s-video you are not getting a hd picture but just a regular plain picture enlarged to fit your screen.

Sorry I don't know why my response was deleted when I used the quote function.

scurvy1
New User

May 24, 2005, 7:18 PM

Post #7 of 12 (4769 views)
Shortcut

i got the component cables and switched my dvd player to progressive, looks much better but still not quite what i would like.. and there is nothing in the manual about the DIST so i assume i cant turn it off.

TANK1
Enthusiast

May 24, 2005, 9:33 PM

Post #8 of 12 (4765 views)
Shortcut

A good site for reviews of dvd players www.hometheaterhifi.com

Look at the bottom banner for reviews then click dvd players

Some reviews in the Products section on main page also.

If your dvd player is part of your receiver combo,a new dvd player is a good idea.

The Panny S97 is a good one also the Denon models.

scurvy1
New User

May 24, 2005, 10:21 PM

Post #9 of 12 (4763 views)
Shortcut

i've been reading a lot of stuff about how component is just as good as dvi or hdmi.. while component looks much better than s-video on my tv, how much of the role in the picture does the actual dvd player play? i was very dissapointed with the s-video picture and now i'm merely dissapointed with the picture with the component.. nowhere near looking like hi-def tv. I may try a newer dvd player but i doesnt seem like it can help that much..

(This post was edited by scurvy1 on May 25, 2005, 6:00 AM)

TANK1
Enthusiast

May 25, 2005, 1:57 PM

Post #10 of 12 (4757 views)
Shortcut

The dvd player is the most important.
These big screen show what the dvd players sends to them.So the dvd player produces the picture which is shown on the tv.

You will see a diference in the picture from a good dvd player such as the Pannasonic S97 and a average player.

Try a good dvd player from someplace with a good return policy.If you aren't happy return it.Try the dvi connection,then the component and compare.

scurvy1
New User

May 25, 2005, 11:53 PM

Post #11 of 12 (4752 views)
Shortcut

i just got the samsung hd850 dvd player, and hooked it up to my tv with HDMI.. looks the exact same as my old dvd player with component.. dissapointed.. i am switching my tv (jvc 61inch dila) for a sony lcd, in the store it appeared the sony had a much better picture.. we will see

TV Pro
New User

Mar 15, 2006, 11:04 AM

Post #12 of 12 (4112 views)
Shortcut

Do not waste your time playing a regular DVD or any other low resolution on your HD will do the same because in order to show you a 1080 lines the HD TV, The computer inside basically has to guess more than half of the data, you only receive 480 from most of the regular sources (supposed 560) the only fix is to use a HD DVD & also a HD player or off the air HD or HD Satellite or cable box with the appropriate broadcast signal.

is frustrating I know but you are not alone once the customer realized that after expending a good chunk of money to find out that the old TV has better picture most of the time (until HD take over on 2009)when they just want to upgrade the TV to get a better picture...

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.17 s on (CGI/1.1)