Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: DVD Repair Forum:
Does RF Modulator affect picture quality?

RussLA
New User

Sep 25, 2009, 8:37 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3469 views)
Shortcut
Does RF Modulator affect picture quality? Can't Post

A friend of mine just bought a Sony DVP-SR200P/B DVD player, an inexpensive machine costing about $40.

The picture is a little grainy (compared to his old DVD player that broke down), and I'm wondering if it's just because it's an inexpensive machine or if the RF modulator could have an influence. (By the way, the RF modulator he's using on the new machine is different from the one he used on his old machine.) I happen to have two RF modulators, both different from the one he has, so I thought it might be worth trying each of them on his setup to see if it helps the picture.

Since it's about a 45-minute drive to his house, I'd rather not make the trip if there's no chance that the two RF modulators I have would improve his picture.

Is there a chance that a different RF modulator might make a difference?

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 25, 2009, 9:36 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RussLA] Does RF Modulator affect picture quality? [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything else being equal ... I'd say no. But each modulator is most likely built by a different manufacturer, uses different input/output cables, etc.

Sony DVD may have a "sharpness" or similar adjustment.

You won't know until you've tried each one.Wink

-------------------------

RussLA
New User

Sep 26, 2009, 2:36 AM

Post #3 of 4 (3462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Does RF Modulator affect picture quality? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's kind of what I suspected. I think it's worth a try. And I'll check his manual to see if I can find an adjustment for picture quality. Thanks.

RussLA
New User

Sep 28, 2009, 1:48 AM

Post #4 of 4 (3449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Does RF Modulator affect picture quality? [In reply to] Can't Post

We tried two additional RF modulators and both of them improved the picture. The new ones we tried were the RCA CRF910 and RCA CRF940. The CRF940 is a multi-port with 4 sets of AudioLeft/Right/Video inputs. It generated a slightly better picture than the CRF910, which only has one set of RCA connectors. Surprisingly, the CRF910 (single port) is listed on Amazon.com for $47.99, while the CRF940 (multi-port) goes for $24.00.

The RF modulator that we originally were using (which gave the poor-quality, grainy picture) was the Philips SWS2100W/27.

I tried fiddling with the sharpness settings (and a few others) on the DVD player, but there was no improvement in the picture.

(This post was edited by RussLA on Oct 4, 2009, 4:32 AM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)