Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Digital TV Forum:
Converter box with cable

mtlhead
New User

Nov 15, 2008, 1:56 AM

Post #1 of 7 (6843 views)
Shortcut
Converter box with cable Can't Post

I have a Sony KV-20FS100 which has an NTSC tuner. It is currently hooked to cable and shows all channels that do not have a decimal. So I figure I can hook the converter box up and use that remote which allows the decimal. However when I hook it up the channel scan picks up nothing. I am using the Zenith DTT901. I've been told this only works with an antenna but that doesn't make sense because both the antenna and cable jack are providing a digital signal so why should the box care?

denonjapan
Veteran

Nov 15, 2008, 5:27 PM

Post #2 of 7 (6837 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mtlhead] Converter box with cable [In reply to] Can't Post

Sony KV-20FS100 has NTSC tuner, an analog tuner. You won't get any channels with decimals cause the tv is analog no matter how you twist the signal. Even if you hook the Zenith DTT901 after the switch will NOT change the tuner frequency. You will be using a downcoverter. Pls understand!

denonjapan
made in japan

mtlhead
New User

Nov 15, 2008, 10:18 PM

Post #3 of 7 (6835 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] Converter box with cable [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your reply denonjapan but I still do not quite follow:

Since the converter box comes with a remote and channel switching capabilities it must have its own tuner right? I'm assuming this is a digital tuner because the remote allows decimals. Therefore I would expect to see the digital stations even though they are downconverted. Basically I would no longer use the NTSC tuner in the tv which just becomes a dumb terminal

Regardless of the format I end up with my bigger issue is why the box wouldn't even pick any (NTSC or ATSC) signal from cable. I read on another forum this is because the cable signals are encrypted and I would need a cable box to decode them. This doesn't make sense though because I have a large LCD digital tv which accepts the cable signals just fine without a cable box.

So with a digital cable signal:
1. no problems when sending directly to a Digital TV
2. problems when sending to a digital converter box

Is the 'digital tuner' in my LCD TV smarter in same way than the 'digital tuner' in the converter box?

denonjapan
Veteran

Nov 16, 2008, 3:02 AM

Post #4 of 7 (6827 views)
Shortcut

NTSC OR ATSC signal from the cable you said? of course not, it's not meant to be, They're intended to downconvert OVER THE AIR FREQUENCY SIGNALS ONLY. Till it's official. That signal like you said will be encrypted. The converter box design tasks is for analog televisions only. Your LCD TV with digital tuner will no longer need this converter box unless you have or you will continue to hold those old tv in use.

denonjapan
made in japan

mtlhead
New User

Nov 16, 2008, 4:19 AM

Post #5 of 7 (6823 views)
Shortcut

Well I understand what your saying but it doesn't seem fair that people hooked to cable cannot downgrade the signal for their NTSC tv, especially since they're paying for their signals. <br> <br>Furthermore if the cable signal is encrypted differently than OTA and that's why the converter box does not see any channel (ATSC or NTSC) then certainly neither of my tv's should not be able to see past that filter as well because neither has a tuner more capable than that of the converter box. <br> <br>This really has nothing to do with the upcoming DTV transition date. I simply want to downconvert ATSC to NTCS and could've asked about this way before the transition to digital was enacted. Maybe there was no product to do such a thing at that time, but now because of the transition their such a product, yet these products are for OTA only. <br> <br>I don't mean to be difficult its just that the puzzle pieces aren't aligning. Reply if you wish but I'll probably end up upgrading the tv anyways. <br>

(This post was edited by mtlhead on Nov 16, 2008, 4:19 AM)

denonjapan
Veteran

Nov 16, 2008, 6:25 AM

Post #6 of 7 (6818 views)
Shortcut

I went back and read your original post and now I understand why all these skepticsm went haywire. You were curious to your own experimentation with cable signals into the coverter perhaps from comcast for instance.

Well, Listen carefully. I must tell you :> As long as you continue with your cable service? Comcast, direct tv or otherwise, YOU WON'T BE NEEDING ANY CONVERTER BOX to your SONY ANALOG TV. As long as the signal is hooked to your current "cable box" such as Comcast etc. Those cable companies will be self-adjusting their costumer's signal from the UPcoming transitions by itself. So you don't have to do nothing in compliance with signal. In short:> if you have cable, You don't need to downconvert anything. do you understand now?

Now! in other words:> Converter boxes available today:> are of "Future use" to those individuals who don't used to have cable services but relying only on local channels, and by obtaining this method is by the use of rabbit ears antenna, roof-top or some silly individual uses hangers WinkWink in order to get free signals especially if they continue to hold on with their ANALOG TV today for the upcoming transitions. In short:> CONVERTER BOX is for analog tv only.
denonjapan
made in japan

mtlhead
New User

Nov 16, 2008, 2:28 PM

Post #7 of 7 (6814 views)
Shortcut

I re-read as well and one thing I didn't mention is that I don't have a 'cable box'. My programming package doesn't require a box. So my LCD with ATSC tuner sees all channels just fine straight from the wall and my older tv with an NTSC tuner sees the NTSC channels just fine straight from the wall (or with the converter box pass-thru) <br> <br>I figured well why not use a downcoverter box (being issued for the OTA folks who will be affected by the transition) on my older tv. Then i could see the rest of my cable channels on my older tv (granted it would be in NTSC format) <br><br>I do understand that I don't "NEED" it because I am using cable and am not affected by the transition.

(This post was edited by mtlhead on Nov 16, 2008, 2:30 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)