Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Digital TV Forum:
I Choose Plasma

WildInjun
New User

Feb 14, 2007, 2:32 AM

Post #1 of 6 (3108 views)
Shortcut
I Choose Plasma Can't Post

I chose carefully 2 years ago. Everyone said a Plasma would only last about 7 years. The LCD and DLP were about equal with the DLP having a little better picutre (action doesn't freeze) so I bought the DLP. I got a 50" RCA. It has had a beautiful picture etc. Only problem, the sales people all said the Projection Bulb would last 5 years. It lasted 2 years and 2 months. The TV has been in my living room the whole time, never moved. At this rate I can't afford it. If the 2nd bulb goes that fast I will take the TV out and shoot it and buy a plasma. I am thinking about another TV for the bedroom. I think I will go with plasma this time.Pirate

techchris
Veteran

Feb 14, 2007, 10:57 AM

Post #2 of 6 (3105 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WildInjun] I Choose Plasma [In reply to] Can't Post

Wildinjun you should put an arrow through the lying salesman's heart. 5 years? you will be lucky if the whole tv lasts 5 years.18 months-2 years is about average for a lamp. Dont forget plasma is yesterdays technology,LCD is the way forward, but dont go expecting that to last any longer or you will be back on this site again in tears!! Oh and DO NOT buy weird makes you have never heard of as there are no spares available for most of them.

rrobor
Veteran

May 30, 2007, 7:48 AM

Post #3 of 6 (3067 views)
Shortcut

I read a report on plasma saying the screen was designed to last 20 years. I then fell off my perch and cracked my beak. There is no technology in todays market that has a good record, its all made to sell, not to last. Buy a TV with a warranty that you can extend and make sure that is home warranty, after all sending your TV to China for repair just may not be your thing. Also buying the new Super Deva Plasma and finding that the fat lady may stop singing a month or two after your purchase is tough. So pay a bit more and buy a reputable brand, extend your warranty and count your beads.

denonjapan
Veteran

May 31, 2007, 11:36 PM

Post #4 of 6 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Whatever you bought, hope you went for something not being convinced by warranty.

denonjapan
made in japan

russelld65
New User

May 13, 2009, 11:04 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2060 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] I Choose Plasma [In reply to] Can't Post

My take on Plasma vs DLP-LCD, comes from servicing all makes
of these tvs. The Plasma screens are not, repeat NOT a 20 life span.
Plasma screens are for the most part tiny flourescent bulbs. They
start degrading quickly, first just a tiny "black Dot" somewhere in the
pix. It keeps loosing "bulbs" quite regularly. The Warranties, when I was Servicing, states, there has to be 2/3 loss of "dots,Pixels"
before warranty will replace. Imagne, a tv pix with 2/3 rds of the
pix black. I never saw a plasma pix you could watch at much of an
angle, without losing pix quality.
DLP and LCD pictures are as good, plus the fact you can sit at
angles without loss of quality.
I was a sears service contractor for 8 years, they were dropping the Plasma sets, from their models they sold.
If you have seen the "micro mirror" sets, they are un-believable.
They have thousands of tiny mirrors driven by movement to display
the pix.
Just my findings.

before they wil;l pay for a replacement
I'm Retired, not Retarded, I'll share my knowledge
with anyone who needs it.

denonjapan
Veteran

Jul 23, 2009, 2:50 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [russelld65] I Choose Plasma [In reply to] Can't Post

"before they wil;l pay for a replacement
I'm Retired, not Retarded, I'll share my knowledge
with anyone who needs it.".......

That's a nice thought for shoppers, im not......... and i can't even begin to share the way you did, much less be proud to call it KNOWLEDGE. if anybody agrees? and it is indeed RETARDED.
Plasma screens are not what you call for the most part ( be very sure what your implying here) ARE NOT TINY FLOURESCENT BULBS. and that DLP and LCD has thousands of tiny mirrors driven by movement to display the pix? what pix? thousands of tiny mirrors?

denonjapan
made in japan

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)