Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
A simple problem regarding cables and splitters..

caitlinstar
New User

Jan 2, 2013, 10:37 PM

Post #1 of 1 (1740 views)
Shortcut
A simple problem regarding cables and splitters.. Can't Post

Hello All, this appears to be a popular forum at least in terms of replies so hopefully I'm at the right place as after a bit of advice regarding my television, bluray player and Youview setup. Hopefully some kind soul out there will be able to advise...as right now, having spoken to the chaps at Currys! and purchased a vast amount of wires, ethernet cables, switch boxes etc..im at a loss!!

In theory its all quite simple really. Literally wanting to setup my Smart tv, together with my YouView Humax freeview /On Demand recorder and my blurray 'smart' player. Now, both my tv and blurray are 3-d enabled..so aware I needed to get 'better' ( more expensive cables ).
I have plugged my ethernet cables into a ethernet plug, one by the telly downstairs and one upstairs by my computer. I will go into detail shortly of the setup and equipment i have....the problem im getting is....I can get via my Youview box On Demand content, streaming movies from Nowtv and Iplayer..no problem....but my actual Internet seems to of suffered...its gone slow!!...would my setup have anything to do with this? Also, I cant seem to link my tv, freeview recorder and blurray player together..that is...i mean i cant access tv smartplayer unless i stick the arial into the back of the tv and take it out of the freeview player etc etc...i assumed once i had my Switch box I could at least have online content running through all 3 of my devices? No? A split arial perhaps? so an arial goes into (1) the tv (2) the freeview box etc..or will that weaken signal?

So..heres my setup..PLEASE advise - ANY MORE THAN WELCOME - on the correct things I need to get etc..
(1) LG TV LM620T
(2) YOUVIEW HUMAX RECORDER
(3) BLURRAY PLAYER, PANASONIC DMP-BDT120
(4) TP-LINK- TL PA211KIT 200MBPS MINI POWERLINE ETHERNET ADAPTER TWIN PACK.
(5) TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch

Together with, 2 HDMI cables ( from memory they are fast enough for 3D / HD tv )
and, finally ( pockets now totally empty!! ) a couple of ethernet cables..again speed/type escapes me..a couple came with the blurray player etc and purchased a couple more..i recall..a decent/fast enough type.

SO...HOW DO I SET THIS UP? I initially placed arial into Freeview box, ethernet into plug, and other plug upstairs by my computer...again...works fine for On Demand telly etc..no problem...except all i have going into my tv is a HDMI cable...so...i cant tune in any channels on my tv/or use my Smart setup. Again, no worries..as im using my Freeview box for this...but still...i thought ( using a Splitter ) I could access my tv channels etc...afterall..I would rather watch tv using my invbuilt freeview on tv and only use the 'slower' Youview for recording etc. My bluray setup again works fine - attached just by a hdmi cable..again, not able to 'use' any of its 'Smart; functions..but no need...again though..assumed, once ethernet cable plugged into splitter box that I would be able too?
So...a better way of setting this up? Where best to stick the arial.

MY FINAL problem is...using just the Plugs...NOT using the splitter setup..just freeview box, ethernet into plug...well my internet upstairs seems slow..all over the place??? why???
But tonight, I decided to just go through the tv for once...so...I stuck the ethernet into the plug from the tv ( instead of the freeview box ) and arial into the tv ( instead of the freeview box )...means im not able to record..but for time being just curious to see the difference..and it appears that my internet is amazingly fast!!!!! why? IS the freeview box slowing things down and my tv isnt ?? And where does the splitter box come into all this?

Appologies for length of this email..but im at a loss..spent nearing a grand on stuff..and ok picture etc fab..but what with all the cables, plugs here and there...i wanted to 'do it right' so to speak...and appears im stuck with being able to record but slower internet speed and chopping/changing my cables..cant be right can it???
Advice MORE THAN WELCOME PLEASE. Thanks again for listening.

(This post was edited by caitlinstar on Jan 2, 2013, 10:38 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)