Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
Basic Cable w/ HDTV

missaesthetic
New User

Apr 24, 2006, 4:36 AM

Post #1 of 2 (1672 views)
Shortcut
Basic Cable w/ HDTV Can't Post

This HDTV thing CONFUSES the heck out of me! I have basic cable. If I purchase an HDTV, will this do anything different? Will it do anything for my basic channels or am I purchasing a HDTV for no reason? I don't want to spend more money buying digital cable and then an HD reciever. Someone please help!

TANK1
Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2006, 1:37 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1667 views)
Shortcut
Re: [missaesthetic] Basic Cable w/ HDTV [In reply to] Can't Post

Cable programs are delivered two different ways.

1 With no cable box,just the cable from the wall connected to the tv.You are getting analog signals from the cable company.These look ok on tv's smaller than 19" but as the screen size increases the picture looks grainy.

2. With a cable box the channels from 1-99 are analog.Then the rest are digital which will look good on any size set. For HD you need a HD cable box which still has 1-99 as analog and digital channels but adds the HD channels. ( cable cards can replace a HD cable box if you HD set has a cable card slot)

People buy HD sets for access to HD channels and put up with the bad analog channels.If you don't plan on upgrading to HD with your cable system then I would not spend the money on a HD set.

If you watch dvds then a HD set would give you that movie experience.

You must consider what you watch and ask "Is a hd set worth it to me?"

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)