Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
Closed Captions

cdex
New User

Dec 1, 2004, 1:38 PM

Post #1 of 7 (5479 views)
Shortcut
Closed Captions Can't Post

I have a Zenith E44W46LCD and cannot get the closed captions to work. I select Menu and scroll to the screen that has the captions listed; however they are dimmed and cannot be selected. The cursor just skips over them. Can you tell what may be the problem? Thank you,

TANK1
Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2004, 2:48 PM

Post #2 of 7 (5476 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdex] Closed Captions [In reply to] Can't Post

Not all shows have closed captions.

If the show at the time didn't have closed captions then that option would not be avaible.

How are you getting the programs( sat box,cable box or ota).With a Directv box you use the close captions by clicking a icon on the banner when the on screen info appears.

Most sets have a set up menu,make sure closed captions is selected.

cdex
New User

Dec 2, 2004, 1:18 AM

Post #3 of 7 (5472 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TANK1] Closed Captions [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you. However I do understand that not all programs have closed captions and that I must select the captions icon from the menu options only when viewing programs that have it. The problem is that the caption item is dimmed on the option list and cannot be selected when programs that are supposed to have it are tried. The caption icon/name is always dimmed all the time and the cursor just skips past it to the next item on the list. So my question remaims...how do I select it if it is not highlighed like all the other options on the pull down banner list? Is there some internal setting that must be made to allow the caption not to be dimmed and thus be able to be selected? Or do I assume that this HDTV does support captions when viewing cable box input? The captions work fine on VCRs.

TANK1
Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2004, 1:51 PM

Post #4 of 7 (5467 views)
Shortcut

Since the captions work with a source ( your vcr) the problem is not with the tv but the cable system.

Since you have Hd I assume you have a digital box from your cable company?

That's were the problem would be since the captions work with your vcr.

Just call your cable company and ask for a cable box swap.A lot of the HD cable boxes had minor glitches in them.

cdex
New User

Dec 2, 2004, 2:11 PM

Post #5 of 7 (5463 views)
Shortcut

Thank you again. I just had the cable repairman out to look at my system and he said the problem was probably in the TV. So since I have a maintenance contract I guess I will just have to have the Best Buy Geek Squad come look at it. Thanks any way and for your quick responses.

cdex
New User

Dec 4, 2004, 1:41 PM

Post #6 of 7 (5449 views)
Shortcut

Tank1. Thank you again for your patience as you can see I am a novice at this technology. One other question.....When I turn on my Zenith E44W46LCD HDTV, I get a message that says..."Your DVI display does not support HDCP use YPuPr connection instead.." What does that mean and may that be some kind of connection or setting the installers did do correctly thus effecting my closed caption problem?

TANK1
Enthusiast

Dec 4, 2004, 4:53 PM

Post #7 of 7 (5445 views)
Shortcut

HDCP is a copywright protection for the dvi input of your set.This means your on set you cannot use the dvi imput.

Usa component video cables(they have red,blue and green markings on the ends).This is what the Y,Pu,Pr message means . A good set cost about $40 for 6 ft lenghth.You don't need to spend a fortune for them.www.partsexpress.com or www.bluejeans.com Bluejeans has the best,dayton cables from PartsExpress work great also

They will work for Hd from a sat box or cable box.They are also used for a dvd player.

Glad to help

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)