First questions on HDTV

Truk
New User

Nov 5, 2008, 6:44 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1027 views)
Shortcut
First questions on HDTV Can't Post

Hi,
I'm just beginning my first experiences with digital and HDTV. I have some questions already, some of which are not strictly HDTV, but more about digital in general, so if I need to post elsewhere please advise.
I just purchased a 40" Sony LCD. Seems like a nice TV. The setup process (real easy) includes a scan for analog and digital channels. I have cable TV and for now all I've done is connect the cable to the antenna in on the TV. The TV includes a QAM tuner and I was happy that it found a lot of digital channels that I would have otherwise needed a cable box for. I was even happier that some of those channels are HDTV channels. Three questions; first, do HDTV channels show programming that is not HDTV, and will HDTV programs include non-HDTV material? It would seem so based on what I'm seeing. Seccond, it seems that some analog channels actually look worse. Is that typical? And third, the automatic scan assigned rather strange channel numbers to the digital channels. For example, it found 69 analog channels and 112 digital. The digital channels start around channel 71, right after the last analog channel, but they are not intuitive numbers, at least not to me. For example, ABCHD is channel 79.1201. Is this common? Is there a typical way to reassign the channelsto be easier to find and identify? I'm not even sure how I would quickly get to that channel. Obviously, they don't seem to have any bearing on the channel number assigned by the cable company. Any help is appreciated.

denonjapan
Veteran

Dec 2, 2008, 1:57 AM

Post #2 of 2 (975 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Truk] First questions on HDTV [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) do HDTV channels show programming that is not HDTV, and will HDTV programs include non-HDTV material? >>> of course! perhaps most of the materials are enhanced to fit in your HD SCREEN. That doesn't mean it's full hd. These materials will become foggy when broadcasted in hd.
2.)it seems that some analog channels actually look worse. Is that typical? >>> refer answers to your question no: 1.
3.)the automatic scan assigned rather strange channel numbers to the digital channels. For example, it found 69 analog channels and 112 digital. The digital channels start around channel 71, right after the last analog channel, but they are not intuitive numbers, at least not to me. For example, ABCHD is channel 79.1201. Is this common? .......Is there a typical way to reassign the channelsto be easier to find and identify? >>>>> Atleast that's common according to your subscription whatever, whoever your cable service. Again, that has nothing to do with the programming. You said is there a way to reassign channels?. You can delete or select channels on your choice towards your media cable box.

denon japan
made in japan

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)