Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
HDTV ANTENNA

eroc
New User

Mar 1, 2005, 11:38 PM

Post #1 of 8 (8009 views)
Shortcut
HDTV ANTENNA Can't Post

I just bought a new sony hdtv. I have directv and cant receive local channels in hd. I bought a cheap RCA indoor antenna and couldnt get a good picture except on one channel. I returned it. I want to get an antenna that will get good reception for my local channels. I also live in a condo so I cant put up anything that is too big. Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of antenna I should get. I live in NJ and dont even know if I can get a signal. Help Please!!

TANK1
Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2005, 10:40 PM

Post #2 of 8 (7997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eroc] HDTV ANTENNA [In reply to] Can't Post

Since you have Directv already there is an anntenna that attaches right to the sat dish.Shaped like a halo it goes around the outside of the dish.

If you need a indoor antenna check Radio shack or local dealer/installer.

RBMD
New User

May 3, 2005, 8:13 PM

Post #3 of 8 (7846 views)
Shortcut

Getting digital TV OTA is easy for some hard for others. There is no such thing as a HDTV antenna in reality. Channels 2 thru 12 are VHF. Channels above that are Uhf. Most HDTV statyons are broadcast in UHF range. If you want all channels you need a combo (VHF/UHF) antenna. You'll need to do some research. First determine the distance to your broadcast antennas. Go to antennaweb.org and from there you can determine your distance and your antenna needs. Using the info you then can determine which antenna will suit your needs. Winegard and channelmaster seem to have the best reputations as far as I can tell. Too big of an antenna appears to be a problem from short distances and too small from long ones. I am 54 miles from the Portland towers and just installed a winegard p8200 (?) and after using my sony hdtv diagnostics screen (menu on remote and go to the tic tack do appearing box at the bottom) for signal strength and pointing the antenna correctly I am now picking all but one HDTV stations and all analoge staytons from Portland. Hope this helps.

Rich

jr1229
New User

May 6, 2005, 11:55 AM

Post #4 of 8 (7827 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RBMD] HDTV ANTENNA [In reply to] Can't Post

Terk ant. from BestBuy. It is an indoor/outdoor. I paid around $100?? It is the Terk TV55

jcnoernberg
New User

Jun 6, 2005, 5:45 PM

Post #5 of 8 (7653 views)
Shortcut

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

antenna locator

denonjapan
Veteran

Aug 26, 2005, 6:01 AM

Post #6 of 8 (7210 views)
Shortcut

QUOTE "I just bought a new sony hdtv. I have directv and cant receive local channels in hd"....why pay something you don't know what you are paying for?

eroc
New User

Aug 27, 2005, 12:52 AM

Post #7 of 8 (7198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] HDTV ANTENNA [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew exactly what I was buying. I dont think anyone would invest 5G without looking into what they were buying. Directv does have HD but not local channels yet, other than over the air antenna. They just launched 2 satelittes for HD local and launching 2 more in the next few years. But at the time they were only available with an antenna. I knew they were coming out with the satellites. I also watch movies and play games with my tv not just the Directv

denonjapan
Veteran

Aug 27, 2005, 3:41 AM

Post #8 of 8 (7193 views)
Shortcut

In that case! you need a RECEIVER capable of both! direct tv hd program / over the air thru it's COXIAL Inputs. hook those separate COXIAL inputs; one for direct tv / and over the air / download each connection. have you heard of that?

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)