Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
Hitachi Component Inputs Y Cb Cr vs. Y Pb Pr

realmiller2000
New User

Oct 19, 2005, 10:51 PM

Post #1 of 3 (3899 views)
Shortcut
Hitachi Component Inputs Y Cb Cr vs. Y Pb Pr Can't Post

I have an older Hitachi model 50UX58B with component inputs labeled Y Cb Cr. Just bought an HDTV tuner with component outputs labeled Y Pb Pr and can't get the TV to sync up with any of the HD formats (480p, 720p, or 1080i). It only syncs up with 480i and the manual says 1000 line resolution. I've read all over the web that Cb and Cr are the same as Pb and Pr. Checked the HDTV tuner on a friends DLP tv and it works fine on all HD output formats. The TV looks great when I connect my progressive scan DVD component outputs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TANK1
Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2005, 2:34 PM

Post #2 of 3 (3892 views)
Shortcut
Re: [realmiller2000] Hitachi Component Inputs Y Cb Cr vs. Y Pb Pr [In reply to] Can't Post

Since your set looks great with the dvd hooked up.

We know the cables are connected correctly,and the set works with 480p from the dvd player.

Is there a 2nd component video input or just the one?

Some of the earlier hd sets had 2 sets of component inputs.One was for Hd (1080i) and the other was for ED ( A progessive scan dvd at 480p).

What brand and kind of HD tuner is it?

syava
New User

Jan 17, 2006, 6:14 AM

Post #3 of 3 (3763 views)
Shortcut
Re: [realmiller2000] Hitachi Component Inputs Y Cb Cr vs. Y Pb Pr [In reply to] Can't Post

The problem with your telivision is that its not an hdtv or an edtv... Older Hitachi model numbers broke down like this: e.x. 50UX58B - 50" screen, UX series (SDTV), 58 was the feature level in the whole UX series (0 is the lowest, 99 is the highest), finally B for black. A whole UX series was a regular(SDTV) tv line with a 4:3(square) screen and was not capable of accepting anything over 525i(480i). Later on came the UDX series which was an HDTV. "D" in UDX stands for digital...
Now back to your problem. A Y, Pb/Cb, Pr/Cr is a connection that can carry any resolution between 480i and 1080i. Since your tv is not an HDTV, it will not accept anything over 480i. Now, your manual is stating about the lines of resolution of your CRT's inside the TV. Generally, a bigger tv would have more lines of resolution. lines of resolution of the CRT does not necessarily mean that your TV can accept that signal. It's just made, so when you input 480i, your tv would not show 240 of those horribly huge lines. Instead it would double the amount of lines and a picture would not look bad at the screen of that size. By the way, that was the beggining of the current line doublers that are built into DVD players and TV's.
By the way, Connecting a TV to the Progressive scan Component out of your DVD player does not necessarily mean that a progressive scan in your dvd player is turned on. the reason why it looks good is because the Luminance(Brightness), Crominance(color) and Sync are separated and running on different lines. Y - Luminance+Crominance Green+Sync, Pb/Cb - Crominance Blue, Pr/Cr - Crominance Red.

Here's a simple example of a screen being one resolution, but acceptable by tv resolutions would be different.
Hitachi 42HDT50 - 42" hitachi plasma... Screen resolution of 1024X1024, which supposedly can display 1080P max resolution, but unfortunatelly electronics inside can accept 1080i maximum.
Hope I helped out. Enjoy.Wink

(This post was edited by syava on Jan 17, 2006, 6:20 AM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)