Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
How can I watch local channels in HD?

davidn
New User

Apr 19, 2009, 6:46 PM

Post #1 of 8 (5854 views)
Shortcut
How can I watch local channels in HD? Can't Post

I recently bought a Vizio LCD HDTV and currently have a basic cable package with only a few channels other than the local channels. These channels look poor in quality on my TV. Is there any way I can watch these channels in HD? I am currently using a digital to analog TV converter box even though I dont need it.

I heard I can watch these channels in HD if I purchase an HD antenna.

Would this antenna allow me to watch my channels in HD? http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?afftrack=u195948t1298375f0fp0c0s578&b=79357&u=101512&m=12447&urllink=www2.meritline.com%2Fartec-an1-digital-flat-antenna---p-31475.aspx

Thanks in advance!

techchris
Veteran

Apr 19, 2009, 7:41 PM

Post #2 of 8 (5849 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davidn] How can I watch local channels in HD? [In reply to] Can't Post

you only get HD if the tv companies transmit in HD

jts1957
Veteran

May 6, 2009, 10:47 AM

Post #3 of 8 (5818 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I recently bought a Vizio LCD HDTV and currently have a basic cable package with only a few channels other than the local channels. These channels look poor in quality on my TV. Is there any way I can watch these channels in HD? I am currently using a digital to analog TV converter box even though I dont need it.

I heard I can watch these channels in HD if I purchase an HD antenna.

Would this antenna allow me to watch my channels in HD? http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?afftrack=u195948t1298375f0fp0c0s578&b=79357&u=101512&m=12447&urllink=www2.meritline.com%2Fartec-an1-digital-flat-antenna---p-31475.aspx

Thanks in advance!

Your TV, when hooked to an antenna and with its control settings set correctly will allow you to receive Network (CBS, NBC, ABC, WB, Fox, PBS, etc.) in HD - No DVT box needed.

Digital to Analog converter boxes allow owners of older sets to receive DIGITAL programming in Standard Definition (SD).

Lastly, in order to receive HD programming from your Cable/Satellite company, You must subscribe to their HD package(s) and use their HD equipment.

-------------------------

denonjapan
Veteran

Jul 23, 2009, 4:27 AM

Post #4 of 8 (5703 views)
Shortcut

David, did you read your question before posting? You said you have a VISIO lcd Tv (digital i assume) connected to a basic cable. Why would you use a digital to analog converter box when you're aiming for an HD quality, knowing you have an HD CAPABLE tv?...DIGITAL TO ANALOG?

Also, there's no such thing as HD ANTENNA. Antenna is antena even if it was made by clothes hangers. The problem is: You need to contact your cable provider and have your current box replace to digital receiver. it cost you extra $5 monthly. if you want it free. have a rooftop antenna for $50 bucks and enjoy locals in HD.

Denonjapan
made in japan

karkate
New User

Aug 10, 2009, 10:41 PM

Post #5 of 8 (5649 views)
Shortcut

Hi..
I dont think you can get it
if and ony if the HD tv
companies transmit in HD
[URL=http://www.telekomx.mobi/lp2/iwaay]HDtv
with regards
-----------
karkate
-----------

cherishyou
New User

Sep 7, 2009, 9:09 AM

Post #6 of 8 (5570 views)
Shortcut

maybe you should contact with the local department of digital tv .they will help you solve this problems !
would you like to have some HD dvds ? wish you have a good visual !
-----------------------------------------------------
The Shield Seasons 1-6 DVD Box set
The Sopranos Seasons 1-6 DVD Box set

KHudson
New User

Oct 8, 2009, 11:58 PM

Post #7 of 8 (5456 views)
Shortcut

I have 2 vizio's....I connected them to an over the air antenna from wal-Mart...BAM....get about 9 local's in HD for free!
[URL="http://www.5mCable.com"]Discount HDTV Accessories - Free Global Shipping

kurt416
New User

Nov 21, 2009, 8:57 PM

Post #8 of 8 (5298 views)
Shortcut

Cable providers are required by FCC regulation to carry unencrypted all local TV stations and associated sub channels. If your Vizio has a QAM tuner, also known as cable tuner, you can get all digital unencrypted channels that your cable company lets you have for free. Simply do a channel scan.

However, the local channels may not be in HD format as the resolution is not specified by the FCC. In that case you need an antenna for local channels or a cable converter box for both local and cable channels in HD format.

For example, in the Phoenix, AZ metro area I can get all local stations in 1080i format with my analog cable service. A converter box for HD cable service is $24/month which includes about 70 HD cable channels.

The type of antenna you need depends on your location and distance from the station(s). In a metro area a powered indoor antenna - $25 and up - should be adequate. In a rural area you might need a roof antenna.

Kurt

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)