Is this a good deal?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Fenz4Ever
New User

Aug 25, 2004, 1:33 AM

Post #1 of 30 (10871 views)
Shortcut
Is this a good deal? Can't Post

Im thinking about buying last years 50" Samsung DLP (model # HLN-5065W) for $2800 & am wondering if you guys would recommend me doing this. I've heard of a couple problems with the set but not many and I would also be getting the 4 yr best buy service plan. If you guys could post your thoughts on whether or not i should go through with it id appreciate it...

TANK1
Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2004, 11:46 AM

Post #2 of 30 (10854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fenz4Ever] Is this a good deal? [In reply to] Can't Post

Good choice on the tv.Try www.avsforum.com look under rear projection.Lots of threads on all dlps.Check power buy thread,the new SAmsung was selling for $2999 delivered.

Fenz4Ever
New User

Aug 25, 2004, 9:38 PM

Post #3 of 30 (10847 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TANK1] Is this a good deal? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks tank but do you think its a good idea to buy a tv like that without a service plan, like the one best buy provides?

Also i was wondering if you could link me to the area that talks about the new SAmsung selling for $2999 delivered. It does sound very promising...

(This post was edited by Fenz4Ever on Aug 25, 2004, 9:47 PM)

TANK1
Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2004, 9:57 PM

Post #4 of 30 (10839 views)
Shortcut

There seems to be two types of warrenties.The one for $450-$500 replaces the bulb one time.The other for $175 on up doesn't cover bulb replacement.A new bulb runs $200-$250 and can easliy be installed.

If you with Best Buy or Circuit City then it's hit or miss on how good their repair guy is.

Samsung gives a one year warrenty,so if you buy a 3 year from BB it only really for 2 years because Samsung covers the first.Both warrenties start date of purchase.

You can get a warrenty from Viking or Warrentech up to the 8th or 9th month from date of purchase.

I would search the internet for the 3 best prices I could find,print them,take to BB and deal from there.You looking at last model,so they should deal.Buy the tv,and get a warrenty later from Warrentech.This would cover for anything expect bulb replacement.Then when the bulb goes up and replace it then at my cost.Bulb cost will come down in time like all everything else. This way gives the most months of coverage at the best price.Check www.bestbuysux.com for horror stories of their service.This best part about a dlp is when you replace the bulb the set lokks as good as when you first bought it.

Fenz4Ever
New User

Aug 26, 2004, 1:07 AM

Post #5 of 30 (10837 views)
Shortcut

Tank, thanks for the help so far man its been real helpful. Anyways i have a few more questions for ya...

-I was just wondering if you knew the link to the samsung for 2999

-At best buy the warranty goes for 4 years (3 from best buy) and costs 400 including bulb replacements.

-Ive never heard of Viking & Warrentech warrentys, how much do they run and how are they servicewise?

-When i need to buy a new bulb, would i call samsung?

Thanks in advance.

TANK1
Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2004, 10:03 AM

Post #6 of 30 (10826 views)
Shortcut

HLp 5063w go to www.avsforum.com,register,go to powerbuy thread in rear projection section. The price isn't listed now,call and ask for the powerbuy price.They also had a bundle package of the tv,stand and warrenty.

HLN 5065w $2797 at www.samsclub.com ext warrenty 3 years $198

Optoma 50" DLP at www.costco.com $2499 no warrenty needed,you can return it at any time for full return.

If you do not have a Sam's or Costco near you.Best Buy will give 10-15% off list price if you make them a offer.$3499-10%=$3149 for HLP 5063

Extended warranties at www.efunctional.com

Bulb in the first year call Samsung for repair under warrenty.

After first year order from Samsung or www.partsolver.com

Ext-warrenties are repair insurance policies.They give you a 800 number to call.Then they schedule a service/repair call for in home service.Viking and Warrentech are just the Allstates and State Farm's of the extended warrenty field.

Fenz4Ever
New User

Aug 26, 2004, 4:43 PM

Post #7 of 30 (10819 views)
Shortcut

i noticed that in order to do the powerbuy thing you have to be a member, do you know where i sign up at?

I looked on the sams club site and noticed that they have no listing for the HLN 5065w that you mentioned.

And i noticed that you mentioned that best buy would take 10% off but right now the tv is down from 3500, so do you think they would take 10% off the 2799?

By the way, you are by far the most helpful person ive ever talked to in any of these forums, thanks.

(This post was edited by Fenz4Ever on Aug 26, 2004, 5:28 PM)

TANK1
Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2004, 9:20 PM

Post #8 of 30 (10810 views)
Shortcut

Sam's Club look under televisions,projection and plasma.Just checked it's there.

Avs forum top of page in members box or between ads click register.

If Sam's price is the same as Best Buy it's proably the lowest price,but it never hurts to ask.

After you register on AVS Forum check out the JVC 52" DILA.Good price on that tv.

Best Buy and Circuit City always run $300-$400 off deals once a month.Should be one coming up for football season.

Glad to help.

TANK1
Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2004, 9:32 PM

Post #9 of 30 (10807 views)
Shortcut

You can buy a tv from Best BUy or anybody else and purchase an extended warranty fron that website www.efunctional.com.Or just google Warrentech Extended Warranty for all the sites.

Fenz4Ever
New User

Aug 28, 2004, 12:06 AM

Post #10 of 30 (10802 views)
Shortcut

Is the Warrentech Warrenty better then best buys?

TANK1
Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2004, 12:31 PM

Post #11 of 30 (10798 views)
Shortcut

Yes,because you buy the warranty in the 8th month of ownership.

Samsung would cover the first year,then Warrentech would cover the next 3 years.The only months of overlapping service would be months 9-12.This would total 4 years of coverage.(45 months of coverage)

Since BestBuy and SAmsung overlap in coverage so you get 3 years of coverage.(36 months of coverage)

Warrentech sends a tv repair man to your house,BestBuy sends their all around repair man.

You still get the 30 day return policy from BestBuy with or without their extended warranty.

Fenz4Ever
New User

Aug 28, 2004, 5:05 PM

Post #12 of 30 (10797 views)
Shortcut

Alright, you said that bulbs arent covered on the $175 warranty, but is there anything else not covered on that warranty?

Also, I found on Efunctional the warranties section and was hoping maybe you could recommend one to me... thanks

(This post was edited by Fenz4Ever on Aug 28, 2004, 5:55 PM)

TANK1
Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2004, 9:20 PM

Post #13 of 30 (10780 views)
Shortcut

Bulbs are the only thing not covered.

Warrentech RMT 45000 is policy number.It's for tv under $5000 and covers 4 years.

You can google the RMT 45000 and compare prices.

Just checked and efunctional was $197.

Fenz4Ever
New User

Aug 28, 2004, 10:22 PM

Post #14 of 30 (10778 views)
Shortcut

I just got back from buying the set for $2800. It seemed like that was about the lowest price around for this tv that i saw. I saw a bunch of options for different warranties so ill look at that rmt 45000 and more then likely go with that. I was just wondering if they would be able to give me the warranty being that i live in iowa and i dont know if they have a repair station anywhere around here. Do you know if the warranties area available for all locations? Thanks a lot for the help TANK this process has taken forever but youve helped me out a ton.

TANK1
Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2004, 12:15 AM

Post #15 of 30 (10774 views)
Shortcut

Congrats on your new set.

The warranty is good in all states.

Fenz4Ever
New User

Aug 29, 2004, 4:43 PM

Post #16 of 30 (10766 views)
Shortcut

Just wondering if you might have an answer to this question...

The set was an open box one & the fan in the back makes a loud buzzing noise and i was wondering if its suppost to be like that?

TANK1
Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2004, 8:43 PM

Post #17 of 30 (10764 views)
Shortcut

If you can hear it from futher than 2-3 feet something's wrong.

The fan is VERY important in a dlp to cool the set down.It gives proper bulb life.

If it's louder than a slight whisper,I wouldn't take a chance with it.Send it back!!!!

TANK1
Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2004, 8:48 PM

Post #18 of 30 (10760 views)
Shortcut

Chances are since it's an open box,the first owner proably sent it back for the same reason.

Fenz4Ever
New User

Aug 30, 2004, 4:59 AM

Post #19 of 30 (10749 views)
Shortcut

Yeah i can hear it from further then 3 feet back, so do you think i should e-mail samsung about this... I didn't invest in a best buy warranty yet and was going to get a warrenty from the warrentech (sp?) place. I have no idea what to do about the fan and it is going to suck without having a tv for a couple weeks.

TANK1
Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2004, 6:26 PM

Post #20 of 30 (10724 views)
Shortcut

I would send it back to Best Buy.

If you have a Sam's Club in you area,buy a new one from them.They have the same model you bought and the same price but it's new.

The problem with a open box is it could be a floor model with many hours on the bulb or returned because of a problem ( loud fan).

You can get this year's model Samsung Hlp from that power buy I told you about for $2999 delivered with no sales tax.This is the best deal for a Samsung DLp right now.Extended warranty from them was on sale also.

Fenz4Ever
New User

Aug 30, 2004, 7:58 PM

Post #21 of 30 (10722 views)
Shortcut

Yeah I saw that the powerbuy came up for 2999 delivered but is there really a big difference between this years model and last years? Like maybe could you tell me some stuff that this years model does better? Also, I was just wondering if you knew how long it approx. takes to get a tv from that powerbuy thing.

I think I'm going to take it back & check out where the Sam's Club is around here (I go to college here and dont really know where all the locations are yet)

EDIT: I just looked in the phonebook and it said theres a Sam's Club -- Members Only store where I live but being that I'm a member, does that mean I cannot shop there? Also, do the new Samsung 50" require that stand to be attached below it because that could make my entertainment counsel worthless.

I have to make my decision by tomorrow because thats when the powerbuy ends, so if you could reply back quick I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks a lot man.

I've already edited this post 3 times but i thought theres one more item id like to add and thats that I also got about $120 worth of reward zone credit to best buy for buying this tv and if i go with sams ill lose all that credit. So do you think I should just buy that warrenty i was thinking about getting and then after getting it, call them up and have them fix my tv so that way it gets fixed for free and also i get to keep the $120?

(This post was edited by Fenz4Ever on Aug 30, 2004, 8:36 PM)

TANK1
Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2004, 9:02 PM

Post #22 of 30 (10711 views)
Shortcut

The model in the power buy is a HLP 5063w which is the same size as the HLN you have now.The difference is the HLP has the hd3 chip which is newer one.The new chip gives you better picture when watching non hd programing.

Sam's club costs $45 to join.

I would strongly suggestion returning the tv to Best Buy.Tell them you are buying the HLP on line for $2899.See if they will deal.If not call and go with the power buy.

You can use your reward zone money for cables,dvds,etc.

No way I would buy a tv and wait till someone repairs it.What if it's the first of many problems?

Fenz4Ever
New User

Aug 30, 2004, 11:15 PM

Post #23 of 30 (10709 views)
Shortcut

The reward zone money is what i would get if i bought the tv from best buy, so if i trade the tv back in i wont get the money.

Anyways, you seem to think i shouldnt go with the tv from best buy & i think im going to return it anyways

Do you know if i need to be a member of sam's club in order to buy the tv there?

Lastly, any idea how long it takes to get your tv from the powerbuy?

Thanks a lot tank, your the man.

TANK1
Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2004, 10:01 AM

Post #24 of 30 (10688 views)
Shortcut

Sam's club you have to a member.You used to able to get a one day free pass at the service counter.If not the membership is only $45 per year.

Power buy proably 7-10 days.Ask when you order or send them a e-mail.From what I have read about them,they have very good customer service.They sell alot of differnet tv models thru the power buy.THey sell so many tvs with the power buy,that's why such a good price.When buy from them,they not only selling a tv to you but too everyone on the forum.They work with to fix any problem you have because they don't anything negative written about them on the forum.

Either the power buy or Sam's have a good priced extended warranty.(less than $200 for 3 years,check when they start coverage).

Fenz4Ever
New User

Aug 31, 2004, 8:45 PM

Post #25 of 30 (10662 views)
Shortcut

Yeah this powerbuy sounds sweet, im almost positive im going to buy the tv from them i was just wondering if there was any other differences between the hln5065w & the hlp5063w (besides what you mentioned earlier about sd pq being better)?

I think ill be placing my order in but sadly i might have to wait 4-5 weeks, but i think it should be worth the wait. Anyways if you could answer that question up at the top for me id appreciate it and i think ill finally be able to finish up this whole tv mess. Youve been a lot of help tank.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.17 s on (CGI/1.1)