LCD TV questions - Samsung LN37B550

jtmann
New User

Jul 29, 2009, 12:59 PM

Post #1 of 13 (2368 views)
Shortcut
LCD TV questions - Samsung LN37B550 Can't Post

LCD TV questions - Samsung LN37B550
Hi. I am buying my first non-CRT TV (better late than never), looking for good quality but not newest or leading edge. I have done lot of research and have narrowed my choices down to a 37 inch or 40 inch LCD. It is for my living room - don't want too small of a screen or too big (regular non HD content looks terrible on bigger screens I find and a lot of TV is still there). My questions to forum are:

1. Re: Samsung LN37B550, I have read consistently positive reviews of this unit but have come across more than a comments about poor audio quality from the built in speakers in Samsung LCD TVs (including 37B550). Any forum users have experience that refutes or verifies this?

2. What would comparable LCD TVs in 37 inches be? My Web research seems to points to maybe Panasonic 37" 1080p LCD HDTV (TCL37S1) being a close second? Any comments on this or others?

3. Should I spend the extra $300-400 and move up to the 40 inch Samsung? Only thing I am worried about is how poor image quality of non HD content looks on bigger screens

Thanks to all

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2009, 12:28 AM

Post #2 of 13 (2357 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jtmann] LCD TV questions - Samsung LN37B550 [In reply to] Can't Post

Stay with Panasonic LCD!

denonjapan
Veteran

Aug 4, 2009, 4:18 AM

Post #3 of 13 (2351 views)
Shortcut

Jitman, doing your re-search is just a basic to educate you. but you can't use that as tool to reality in acquiring your viewing needs....get out there and forget everybody's saying. I want you to experience it instead of hearing..

denonjapan
made in japan

Juggernuat
New User

Sep 14, 2009, 7:43 AM

Post #4 of 13 (2299 views)
Shortcut

Samsung is the World Best Seller LCD TV.
------------------------------------------------------------------
LED.HDTV.Big.Sale

iSpaZ
New User

Sep 24, 2009, 10:49 AM

Post #5 of 13 (2279 views)
Shortcut

The 550 Series hits all the features u want. its not too flashy, yet still has a pretty good picture on it. <br>The Panasonic has a great picture on it aswell tho, but as far as quality the samsung is a better bet. <br> <br>The sound in just about any LCD TV isnt going to be that good. If you are concerned with the way it sounds after u take it home, just buy a cheap soundbar, or even invest in a HTIB. <br> <br>As far as the size, it all depends on what you would feel comfortable with in your house. If you have a larger room, i would suggest the larger tv, but once again choose the size based on what you feel comfortable with. <br>

(This post was edited by iSpaZ on Sep 24, 2009, 10:50 AM)

zzzzporsche12
New User

Oct 8, 2009, 2:09 AM

Post #6 of 13 (2258 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulpablo] LCD TV questions - Samsung LN37B550 [In reply to] Can't Post

anything but RCA

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 8, 2009, 7:35 AM

Post #7 of 13 (2255 views)
Shortcut

ACME

Worked for the Road Runner. BEEP - BEEP!

-------------------------

btime
New User

Oct 8, 2009, 8:07 PM

Post #8 of 13 (2251 views)
Shortcut

If I were you I would never buy a Samsung product, unless you are 100% sure it will never become defective. I've had my LN46a650 for just over a year and it has become a paperweight.

Check the better business bureau's website under New Jersey (where their headquarters are located) and see all of the reports filed.

Samsungs customer service is a joke.

Buyer Beware. I'll never buy another Samsung product as long as I live and will discourage everyone I know to do the same.

See my thread on this forum:
http://www.tv-forums.com/forum/TV_Equipment_C4/HD_TV_Forum_F25/Samgsung_1080p_LCD_issue_(LN46a650)_P57355/

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 9, 2009, 12:00 AM

Post #9 of 13 (2249 views)
Shortcut
Re: [btime] LCD TV questions - Samsung LN37B550 [In reply to] Can't Post

You said you "bought the extended warranty from Best Buy" - what happened?

-------------------------

btime
New User

Oct 9, 2009, 8:51 PM

Post #10 of 13 (2243 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] LCD TV questions - Samsung LN37B550 [In reply to] Can't Post

Well so far I've had to take a half day off work for them to look at the tv and order the part they "think" will solve the problem. Reading online, it seems like they will replace parts 4 different times before I'm considered for a replacement or refund. Most times they don't get it right the first time.

So, if they get it right on the first try I'll only have had to take off 1 full day from work to wait for geek squad. Taking vacation days for a tv that should work is unacceptable. All for a tv that cost me $2100 and worked for 1 year and 4 months.

Also, did I mention how bad samsung customer service is? So bad they need an "executive customer relations" department to handle all of the angry ripped off customers that their regular customer service can't deal with.

Unbelievable.

Good luck if you buy one. If it breaks, you are screwed.

One other thing. People have reported having their samsung warranty and having to wait months for their problem to be remedied. Buy something else.

Don't get me wrong. When the tv was working, it is the best lcd tv i've ever seen. I was very happy, until this.

techchris
Veteran

Oct 9, 2009, 9:07 PM

Post #11 of 13 (2239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [btime] LCD TV questions - Samsung LN37B550 [In reply to] Can't Post

sadly, customer service went out the window with the arrival of cheap crap from China. 1-2 years is pretty good going before the first breakdown so you should not feel alone. Nobody and i mean nobody really knows how this stuff works apart from the designers in the far east and they only know about the bit they designed. The rest of us work on 50% experience and 50% guesswork so techs calling at your house are just as much working in the dark as anyone else so don't expect them to call and say "I have the part in the back of my truck and will fix it in 10 minutes". sorry to bring you such bad news but have a nice day anyway!

cotton501
New User

Oct 10, 2009, 8:53 AM

Post #12 of 13 (2235 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulpablo] LCD TV questions - Samsung LN37B550 [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Stay with Panasonic LCD!

Yeap!
Pnasonic is cool than any other brand!
Baby Einstein DVD
Disney 100 Years of Magic dvd collection

kayacamilla
New User

Oct 21, 2009, 7:51 PM

Post #13 of 13 (2201 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cotton501] LCD TV questions - Samsung LN37B550 [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a quick question...

Are samsung TV's really prone to have some sort of factory defect or it's just one of the TVs sickness that decides to come out in the long run?

I already got a Samsung tv so I'm trying to look for another option.
Kaya C!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)