Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
My budget is $3000

OjLeno
New User

Oct 9, 2008, 7:19 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1389 views)
Shortcut
My budget is $3000 Can't Post

Well, if I sell a couple of my toys, I could stretch this to $3,300.

Thanks in advance. I know you regulars here must be tired of these questions. I come to you because I'm unable to find clear answers to some questions I still have after weeks of research. Perhaps there aren't clear answers... but I need to at lest make an attempt to educate myself before taking the plunge. I don't want to depend on the sales rep to educate me on the spot.

Some facts: I sit 15 feet away from my current TV (which is a 32 inch rounded [non-flat] non HD tubed TV).

I have a window to one side of the room which is 4.5ft tall by 12ft long (a big window), which faces pretty much to the west.

As much as I don't want to say it, I believe my primary concern with the purchase of a new TV is going to be reflection/glare. As of a year ago, I was hearing that LCD's were the way to go if you were concerned about glare. They sales rep at Best Buy states that plasmas have become better (caught up) on this issue. We, at the time, were discussing the Pioneer Kuro PDP 5020FD plasma TV.

#1 So... are the new plasma displays indeed catching up (anti-glare-wise) to LCD displays? If this is "in certain cases only" or "with certain coatings only", what coating should I be asking for? Or, in general, what manufacturers tend to be known as good in this department of glare issues? Also, should this really be my first priority in the first place? (Are both LCD and Plasma displays going to be much less reflective than the tube TV I have now?) Should I just take a flashlight to the store with me to try testing this myself?

There is only about 1-1.5hrs of the evenings (thanks to a large overhang) where I have to draw the curtains in order to see my current TV. I know that the problem is exacerbated on my current TV because of its glass surface and because that surface is convex. This may be offset (on the flip side) by the fact that the new LCD or Plasma that I purchase will be much wider than my current TV. Another point I would have to add to both sides of the equation is that I live in sunny San Diego (but I don't complain about that too much :).

#2 I have the budget to actually purchase the Pioneer Kuro 50inch PDP5020FD. However, CNET's HDTV for beginner's website is showing me that I really should get a 60-inch display, which the website states has a max viewing distance (for a 16:9 display) of 15ft.
If this is true (and I do trust CNET), then I all of a sudden feel constrained (even with a $3,000 budget). Most websites say that above 50-52 inches, plasmas are better on your wallet. So if it IS the case that I should go with LCD due to glare (which I'm hoping you can all shed some light on for me), then I can no longer afford the proper size LCD display for my room. Am I looking at this right? My mindset right now is that I should purchase a display between 56-60inches.

#3 I really really really had my mind set on getting a GOOD quality (it doesn't have to be "highest quality") 1080p display. My idea (a few years down the road) was to purchase a low-profile (mini) PC and to use that PC (along with a small array of large-storage hard drives) to store movies on and/or what not.

If you have any pointers, I'd love to read them. As you can see, I'm struggling on the point of how to align my priorities in the purchase of a new display. I've been holding off (due to purchases of other things/furniture/stuff the wife wants) for 3-4 years now, and I always told her this would be about $3,000. I'm looking to buy around Dec/Jan/Feb (Christmas bonus/PTO cash out/IRS tax return).

Thanks again!

TANK1
Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2008, 9:20 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1382 views)
Shortcut
Re: [OjLeno] My budget is $3000 [In reply to] Can't Post

You could always put something on your window ( tint, black out curtain ) if glare becomes a problem.
Plasmas do have some anti glare features

At 15 ft away you could go 60" without a problem. I think if got a 50" plasma now, you are going to want a 60" real soon.
Since you have time before you decide here are links to a website where you can read from owners of both plasmas and LCD sets
LCD - http://www.avsforum.com/...rumdisplay.php?f=166

Plasma http://www.avsforum.com/...rumdisplay.php?f=167

denonjapan
Veteran

Oct 10, 2008, 3:53 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1375 views)
Shortcut
Re: [OjLeno] My budget is $3000 [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see nothing serious on your concern of glare or position issues. Plasmas no matter what brand creates glare from the protective outer glass noticeable only on OFF position. When the picture is present, Plasma dominant the whole screen in this process unlike the tube tv's where reflective lights is needed to direct colors thru the screen.
Another thing, regardless of reviews you read out there are no good or bad reviews. When you are a beginner, your expectations tends to fluctuate anytime from doubts not necessarily gathering pointers to educate yourselves out of something yet not experience. RELAX!

With your story told and budget, You can start with the SHARP
LC52SE94U and you can forget that KURO from Pioneer.

denonjapan
made in japan

Chrisry696
New User

Oct 15, 2008, 7:50 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1337 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] My budget is $3000 [In reply to] Can't Post

My friend bought a 50" plasma for his room and he sat 16 feet back. After watching it for a few hours, it hurt our eyes. It was too much for being that close. He then got a 42" and it was perfect. They were both Panasonic's. This was just our experience. If you get time, go and sit in front of a 60" 15 feet back and watch it for a while. See how it feels. It seems to me the plasma shines the light into your eye and becomes uncomfortable. I find this when repairing them and watch after the job is done. That's just me. Bigger is not always better. 15 feet is not far away. Do your homework like your doing. Good job!!! Make sure you look at the ones that interest you, not just read the specs or reports. Above all, BUY that extended warranty NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!They don't last long and cost biggtime to fix, if the parts are even available. Trust me on that one!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)