Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
Need help with HD cable box hook up

skarb1188
New User

Nov 10, 2004, 6:06 PM

Post #1 of 5 (11488 views)
Shortcut
Need help with HD cable box hook up Can't Post

Hooking up a Panasonic ED Plasma (TH-42PWD5) with a HD cable box provided by Comcast. Instructions show contecting the Y,Pb,Pr, from the plasma to the cable box, and and optical SPDIF from the Home Theater receiver to the cable box. I have connected the Video cable from the plasma to Video "out" connection of the cable box, as this will at least give me a "picture". The instructions don't show where the Video connection at all. The picture quality is not great and higher channels (100+) are not viewable at all. Where am I going wrong, what am I missing?

TANK1
Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2004, 10:35 PM

Post #2 of 5 (11470 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skarb1188] Need help with HD cable box hook up [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like you hooked up a single cable from cable box to set.

You should be using component video cables(3 cables,y,pb,pr),they will be marked on the cable plugs with blue,red and green markings.Make sure tv set is in component video.Most sets have varies video connections(ant1,ant2,video1 video2,hdtv,comp1,comp2)just cycle thru them with your remote to you have a picture.

For sound if your cable box DD connect the optical cable from the cable box out to your receiver optical input.

For basic sound connect the red and white rca plugs from cable out to receiver input.

skarb1188
New User

Nov 11, 2004, 1:17 AM

Post #3 of 5 (11466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TANK1] Need help with HD cable box hook up [In reply to] Can't Post

All 3 cables attached (y,pb,pr) from plasma to hd box. Yellow video cable from plasma attached to Video out on box. Is this yellow cable conection the problem? The instructions don't show it use, but it's the only way I can get a picture to come up at all. Sound is good. Picture seems to be of poorer quality then when I had system running through a digital cable box. On some stations the picture jumps, freezes, breaks apart. I'm reading other threads of ED plasmas getting good results through HD boxes.

TANK1
Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2004, 2:54 PM

Post #4 of 5 (11455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skarb1188] Need help with HD cable box hook up [In reply to] Can't Post

Unhook the yellow video cable and just leave the three component cables connected(Y,Pb,Pr).

On your remote push the video button and cycle thur all the video connections.Should be 3-6 different ones.

On your cable box make sure the cables are connected to the right plugs and are connected tight.

If you can't get a picture now and have problems with the yellow video cable connection, the problem is the cable box.

skarb1188
New User

Nov 15, 2004, 5:45 PM

Post #5 of 5 (11422 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TANK1] Need help with HD cable box hook up [In reply to] Can't Post

Cable company replaced faulty cable box, now everything is right in HD land. Great picture, awesome clarity, hard to watch sports/shows now in non-HD programing. Thanks.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)