Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
Old VCR new HD TV and Digital Cable

Dopey
New User

Jun 4, 2008, 2:07 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2439 views)
Shortcut
Old VCR new HD TV and Digital Cable Can't Post

I am having trouble hooking up my new Sharp HD TV with a digital cable box and an old Toshiba W528 VCR. The problem is with the VCR. Perhaps it is analog and incompatible with digital signals. I cannot record or playback anything that has been recorded. I have it hooked up as follows: cable in coax to VCR. Then VCR to cable box, both with coax cables then the cable box to TV with an HDMI cable. I have the VCR switch set to channel 3. There are about 6 input options on the TV, but since it is hooked up with the HDMI cable I would think HDMI is the correct selection for viewing from and recording to the VCR, but maybe not. When I turn the VCR on the picture on the TV screen changes to a light grey solid screen and wipes out the program which is still there if I turn the VCR off again. Anyone got any ideas that might set me straight?
If I need to get a new digital compatible VCR should I get a DVD combo so I can record and playback DVDs as well as tapes? Is so, what is the best model under $200?....and what about DL recording and Blue Ray? Should we expect they will be necessary in the TV/DVD future?

onetech
User

Jun 4, 2008, 7:16 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2436 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dopey] Old VCR new HD TV and Digital Cable [In reply to] Can't Post

Dopey,
When you switch the VCR on it interupts the cable signal to the box and gives you the gray screen. You need to hook up a audio video cable from the VCR output to the TV external composite input and then switch the TV to that input for playback.

Dopey
New User

Jun 4, 2008, 7:18 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2435 views)
Shortcut
Re: [onetech] Old VCR new HD TV and Digital Cable [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks. Will try that. Dopey

Dopey
New User

Jun 5, 2008, 12:42 AM

Post #4 of 6 (2428 views)
Shortcut

Hi Onetech;
Just wanted to say that I am now able to record and play back. Thank you.....but there are two problems. The playbacks are in black and white not color, and there is no sound. Any thoughts?Pirate

onetech
User

Jun 10, 2008, 11:11 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2418 views)
Shortcut

Do you have the same problem if you play a pre-recorded tape?

Dopey
New User

Jun 11, 2008, 1:39 AM

Post #6 of 6 (2415 views)
Shortcut
Re: [onetech] Old VCR new HD TV and Digital Cable [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi onetech. Thanks for response. I learned today that the VCR is incompatible with my Sharp HDTV; so I did not try your suggestion and am surveying the old VCR in favor of a DVD VCR combo. Thanks again. Dopey.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)