Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
Panasonic TC-P42X1 vs. TC-L42U12

mmitsch
New User

Apr 19, 2009, 3:57 PM

Post #1 of 1 (4235 views)
Shortcut
Panasonic TC-P42X1 vs. TC-L42U12 Can't Post

I went to Best Buy yesterday to buy my mother a new HD TV. Her room can only handle 42", so I went knowing that. I had also went believing Samsung and LCD were the best thing to get. My mom had an older Sony analog TV, so thought I should look at these for her.
When I got to the store I had a helpful sales guy (he actually seemed credible). He said that I really ought to consider plasma for richness of viewing. I told him that I'd heard there was screen burn-in and bad reflection. He said the burn-in bit would be more apt to happen with gaming, but he thought my 80+ mom would be ok. Also, after explaining the TV is in the corner of a room with not direct light, he said the reflection should be ok.
As for brands, the guy recommended Panasonic. He had a 720p model, TC-P42X1, for $899. I said I was worried about the 720p, and he said that is what is being broadcast now. For the same price he had a TC-L42U12, a 1080p, also a Panasonic. He said it is 1080p was good, but that the resolution and 600mHz frequency was better in the 720p set.
I bought the 720p Panasonic and it is up and running. I can take it back this morning if necessary (if I get feedback on the site here). Could someone let me know the following real quick:
1. Is Plasma ok?
2. Is Panasonic a good brand?
3. Should I worry about getting a 720p only TV?
4. Are there other good things about the TC-L42U12?
Let me know your thoughts!
Thanks!
Mike

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.13 s on (CGI/1.1)