Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
Please help me with an HDCP error message.

Tomdude22388
New User

Jan 11, 2007, 3:16 AM

Post #1 of 7 (2293 views)
Shortcut
Please help me with an HDCP error message. Can't Post

Hey I just bought this HDTV : http://www.consumer.philips.com/...FJ0RMRESHP3HKFSEKI5P
I hooked it up to an HD cable box from time warner. I connected a Monster 400 HDMI from my tv to the HD cable box (HDMI from tv and the other end DVI to my cable box). And I put in the audio. When I turned on the tv a picture came up but then an error message came up saying "Your HD TV does not support HDCP" What does this mean and how can I fix it? Did I buy the wrong cable? Can I use any HDMI with this TV and cable box?

Also , with an HD TV, does the picture suppose to be a little fuzzy when you stand close to it?

Please help. Thank you!!!!

denonjapan
Veteran

Jan 11, 2007, 7:08 AM

Post #2 of 7 (2283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tomdude22388] Please help me with an HDCP error message. [In reply to] Can't Post

HDCP means high-bandwidth digital content protection. Although the monitor is considered high def monitor, or by using an appropriate cable, the in-coming signal is encrypted with protection to which your monitor isn't compliant of such use...This is brought by new generations of high definition devices such as blu-ray players, hddvd players.Although, most LCD monitors are HDTV capable, HDCP encryption limits this type of use. If you use HDCP and want to ensure dual use of your new flat panel display, look for HDCP compatibility..........Again, there's nothing wrong with the tv or your connections. it's simply an incompatibility.

denonjapan
made in japan

(This post was edited by denonjapan on Jan 11, 2007, 3:01 PM)

Tomdude22388
New User

Jan 11, 2007, 7:35 AM

Post #3 of 7 (2282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] Please help me with an HDCP error message. [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont understand lol im sorry, explain siimpler. What should I do? How can I use my HDMI without that message coming up.

denonjapan
Veteran

Jan 12, 2007, 2:55 AM

Post #4 of 7 (2271 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tomdude22388] Please help me with an HDCP error message. [In reply to] Can't Post

First, Before I address your issue, This is rather disturbing news among consumers who's obsession is high in high-def monitors but lack of information in future of broadcasting and sudden change or issues came without warning....To those who aren't aware this would be an existing problem is now proved to be true due to high in demand of high definition materials which cost a lot to broadcasters to do so. the FCC and MPAA want HDMI and DVI to be the input of choice/necessity in the years to come and DVI/ HDCP or HDMI/ HDCP compatible MONITOR is a must have! to comply with the future broadcasting materials....Thanks for verifying it, cause if it's true! it's already began..

Politics aside, HDCP is a technology embraced by the Motion Picture Association of America as it eliminates the reproduction of copyrighted material, and the best copy protected digital. And now, most display monitors sold to consumers are now affected by this decisions involve in HDCP issue. Which I will be bringing you back towards CONSUMER DISPLAYS version, versus PROFESSIONAL monitors. Im sure you all aware about consumer devices being restricted at some level where PRO-MONITORS do not. In HDTV world, Most consumers are more focused in PIXEL RESOLUTIONS ( hdtv labelled monitor ) as a better factor in choosing a display (which is not! ) and not aware how litle Consumer devices are restricted freely from sudden change in technology. And now your case enters the picture. You have a monitor that complies specifically to all forms of HDTV materials and it should work, however you forgot, your hdtv monitor complies in consumer level only. When you feed the monitor with encrypted signal, what's going to happen is: the picture wobble, picture may appear but no sound , or sound maybe present as the video deteriorates. It is not your displays fault, or connections. It is NOW a matter of your LCD's non-compliant to HDCP.

Right now, the smart decision is to buy a digital television with DVI/HDCP or HDMI/HDCP, but it goes even beyond televisions. In order to fully comply with a HDMI or DVI world, it's possible that every consumer electronics device you own will have to feature a DVI or HDMI input. Think about what that would mean in terms of what you already own, and how much money its going to cost to replace everything. OR you can discontinue your current cable service, and settle for OTA till you will be ready for next purchase. I know! it's stink (so sue me! lol )

denonjapan
made in japan

(This post was edited by denonjapan on Jan 12, 2007, 2:57 AM)

TANK1
Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2007, 4:08 PM

Post #5 of 7 (2264 views)
Shortcut

First your set is ok- from your link
For advanced performance HDMI for full digital High Definition connection HDMI makes an uncompressed digital RGB connection from the source to the screen. By eliminating conversion to an analog signal, it delivers an unblemished image. The non-degraded signal reduces flicker and leads to a clearer picture. HDMI intelligently communicates the highest output resolution with the source device. The HDMI input is fully backward compatible with DVI sources but includes digital audio. HDMI uses HDCP copy protection.

You are using a dvi out from cable box to hdmi input to set cable - correct ?
DVI is video only, so if your cable box is outputing using DVI .You need to connect the audio output from the cable box to your A/V Receiver or your tv set.
Use either red and white audio cables or toslink

Here what a toslink is http://www.monoprice.com/...;format=1#largeimage

Here are the other basic audio cables http://www.monoprice.com/...;format=1#largeimage

Tomdude22388
New User

Jan 13, 2007, 4:35 AM

Post #6 of 7 (2260 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TANK1] Please help me with an HDCP error message. [In reply to] Can't Post

I did connect audio. The problem is the HDCP message that is clearly comeing from my cable box cause its in the type of error message the box gives off.

TANK1
Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2007, 1:59 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2258 views)
Shortcut

Then chances are the problem is with the cable box. Call the cable company.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)