Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
Question about HDTV converter

makavelidon04
New User

Sep 28, 2008, 11:17 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1485 views)
Shortcut
Question about HDTV converter Can't Post

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8102796&type=product&id=1161734592183

I have a 1080i Panasonic 26' LCD..If I were to get that converter, would it increase my quality of TV, making the quality more real life like, like the new TV's do with the built in HDTV tuners..? Thanks, and I hope you guys know what I'm talking about when it comes to the quality

TANK1
Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2008, 10:11 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1473 views)
Shortcut
Re: [makavelidon04] Question about HDTV converter [In reply to] Can't Post

All this does is receive over the air signals from your local broadcasters and show them on your set.

A video processor or sometimes called a scaler takes any signal from any source ( sat,cable dvd,vhs etc ) and upconverts it to hd

Here is what one looks like

http://www.projectorcentral.com/dvdo_iscan_vp50.htm

denonjapan
Veteran

Sep 30, 2008, 5:45 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1470 views)
Shortcut
Re: [makavelidon04] Question about HDTV converter [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think you would see much of difference toward a 26 inch screen, but if you have 1080i progressive screen, should hdtv tuner already built in? if not, then you can use that samsung tuner, However, using a converter defeats the purpose towards 26 screen. Besides Im not sure if you're opt for $2,000.00 scalar for a fraction of your application. get a bigger display instead.

denonjapan
made in japan

Chrisry696
New User

Oct 15, 2008, 8:03 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1392 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] Question about HDTV converter [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember that most broadcast hd is only 720i. Sounds like your panasonic is a monitor. Just because it can display 1080 interlace input, don't mean that everything will be that definition. The program must be shot in 1080 inorder for you to see the difference. Otherwise they take a lower resolution picture and convert it to "fit" a 1080 display. They can't put more picture information into something that wasn't shot with the information in the first place. There is just not enough 1080 stuff out there yet to make it worth your while. Even Blue-ray is 1080i and not 1080p. At least not the movies I've watched thus far. You won't see that much of a difference to answer your original question. Hope this helps.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)