Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
gefen scaler

hotrod351
New User

Jun 21, 2007, 11:01 PM

Post #1 of 9 (2645 views)
Shortcut
gefen scaler Can't Post

i have a 32" samsung hd lcdtv. im hooked up to dish network and have two hd receivers. im recording off each receiver to a dvd recorder, ilo and liteon. im using rca and s-video connections between the hd receivers and then to a switch box that then uses rca cables to go to my tv. the recorded sick isn't all that clear, nowhere as clear the picture i get on the tv. im looking at the gefen scaler and wondered if anyone has tried one. i thought i could run my dvd recorders, each, into the scaler then use the hdmi cable out of it to the tv hdmi input. i know the recorders are recording clear but sending the signal from them to the tv is where i loose the clarity. any thoughts on this.

TANK1
Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2007, 9:38 AM

Post #2 of 9 (2634 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hotrod351] gefen scaler [In reply to] Can't Post

RCA and S-video don't transmit/carry hd signals only component video, dvi,hdmi cables.

So try a different type cables before you buy a scaler.

hotrod351
New User

Jun 22, 2007, 4:26 PM

Post #3 of 9 (2628 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TANK1] gefen scaler [In reply to] Can't Post

i didn't know that. well thats where i hitting a road block, the only inputs i have on the dvd recorders are rca. i have component outputs on the recorders but it doesn't seem to help the picture playback .

TANK1
Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2007, 5:33 PM

Post #4 of 9 (2626 views)
Shortcut

Most dvd players you must push a button to engage the progressive scan ( 480 p ) feature.

hotrod351
New User

Jun 22, 2007, 5:45 PM

Post #5 of 9 (2625 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TANK1] gefen scaler [In reply to] Can't Post

i don't understand what you mean by push a button to engage the progressive scan.

hotrod351
New User

Jun 22, 2007, 6:23 PM

Post #6 of 9 (2620 views)
Shortcut

i found out about progressive scan in the manual. i have to have the s-video hooked for it. ive already tried that and the picture is the same as the rca jacks.

denonjapan
Veteran

Jun 24, 2007, 2:59 AM

Post #7 of 9 (2614 views)
Shortcut

Part of your statement:"i know the recorders are recording clear but sending the signal from them to the tv is where i loose the clarity. any thoughts on this".
hotrod, your connections are ok. However, you are limited when copying HD materials due to copyrights protection. Your recordings are based from S-VIDEO recording in a dvd recorder. Therefore, your recording became a dvd quality. It doesn't mean you should have same clarity from original HD material cause you have outputed thru HDMI or component throughout your dvd recorder. It doesn't work that way!.......Wait a litle more time till blu-ray recorder becomes available to you, It will record exactly what you see in it's built-in HD tuner.

denonjapan
made in japan

(This post was edited by denonjapan on Jun 24, 2007, 3:09 AM)

hotrod351
New User

Jun 24, 2007, 7:13 AM

Post #8 of 9 (2610 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] gefen scaler [In reply to] Can't Post

im waiting for the ps3 to come down in price. i did find out that by using component cables from the recorders to the tv its a little better picture. also the picture guilty is a little better on the dvd player with the component cables.

TANK1
Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2007, 11:24 PM

Post #9 of 9 (2605 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
i don't understand what you mean by push a button to engage the progressive scan.

To engage the progressive scan ( 480p instead of 480i) you need to push a button on either the remote or the dvd player. If you want to fast forward - you need to push the fast forward button.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)