Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: HD TV Forum:
hookup sound thru my reciever

-Dman100-
New User

Sep 13, 2008, 7:27 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1657 views)
Shortcut
hookup sound thru my reciever Can't Post

I just finished hooking up my HD DVR unit from Time Warner to my Hitachi Rear Projection TV. The High Definition is working. But, what I'm having trouble setting up is sound thru my stereo reciever.
I have a NAD reciever that I bought quite a long time ago. It is good reciever, but before HD. So, I'm trying to figure out how to get the sound going thru the reciever.
Can anyone help?
So far, I have the HD DVR and DVD player connected to my Hitachi TV. HD TV and DVD both work fine. I just need to hookup the sound.
Thanks for any help.

dkdhas3
User

Sep 14, 2008, 2:58 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [-Dman100-] hookup sound thru my reciever [In reply to] Can't Post

if your hitachi tv has an audio out(red,white) on the back attach that to your receiver on an unused input, then anything displaying on your tv, the audio for it will be sent to your receiver.(make sure the tv has no menu options relating to audio output)
if that fails sending the red and white audio out to the receiver directly from your dvd player , this will not allow audio on the tv at all . only the external speakers will work for hd movies.
good luck

TANK1
Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2008, 7:05 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1642 views)
Shortcut
Re: [-Dman100-] hookup sound thru my reciever [In reply to] Can't Post

Just connect the HD DVR to the NAD with a toslink ( optical cable ) for DD . And a 2nd toslink form dvd to your NAD.

Here is a toslink-

http://www.knukonceptz.com/...HX%20Optical%20Kable#

If you connect with the red and white cables you get stereo only - no DD.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)