Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: LCD TV Forum:
HDMI Ports gone bad?

sharp52
New User

May 29, 2009, 11:07 AM

Post #1 of 2 (3087 views)
Shortcut
HDMI Ports gone bad? Can't Post

I Have a Sharp Aquos LC-60C52U that is approximately 2 years old. I have two (of 2) HDMI ports that appear to be useless after working for about a year and a half. The ports do not seat the cable securely and I am convinced I am not getting an image due to the poor connection. It's out of warranty and I recieved a guesstimate of $600 to repair. Being a former PC tech, I feel like I would be competent to swap out parts provided I know which parts to swap out?
Does anyone have an idea on which part (s) I should replace to include new HDMI ports? Or, is there a way to shore up the existing HDMI ports so they are snug again?
Thanks for your responses in advance.
Rick

jts1957
Veteran

May 29, 2009, 5:59 PM

Post #2 of 2 (3086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sharp52] HDMI Ports gone bad? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I Have a Sharp Aquos LC-60C52U that is approximately 2 years old. I have two (of 2) HDMI ports that appear to be useless after working for about a year and a half. The ports do not seat the cable securely and I am convinced I am not getting an image due to the poor connection. It's out of warranty and I recieved a guesstimate of $600 to repair. Being a former PC tech, I feel like I would be competent to swap out parts provided I know which parts to swap out?
Does anyone have an idea on which part (s) I should replace to include new HDMI ports? Or, is there a way to shore up the existing HDMI ports so they are snug again?
Thanks for your responses in advance.
Rick

If it's just a matter of a bad/loose connection, then jacks should work if held/pushed (left/right/up/down).
If that IS TRUE then I'd take the board out that the jacks are mounted to and check for bad solder joints, cracked board, etc. If nothing spotted then jacks themselves would have to be changed. If its just a jacks board, you might be able to get replacement board (if jacks are part of a multipurpose board, just replace jacks).

Jacks should be able to be obtained from, only an example:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=151-1080-ND

Don't forget to provide some "strain relief" to hopefully prevent a reoccurance.

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on May 29, 2009, 6:04 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)