Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: LCD TV Forum:
New LCD and regular programs.

smbdck
New User

Oct 27, 2007, 2:20 PM

Post #1 of 9 (1860 views)
Shortcut
New LCD and regular programs. Can't Post

I just purchased a brand new 42" Sony widescreen flat panel 1080p LCD TV. The HD channels on COX cable are just awesome, they blow you away. However, when I view the regular channels, I think you refer to them as analog, the picture is not that great, i.e.- no sharp edges, you can sometimes see the actual pixels, ghosting around the edges of text, the picture is viewable but disappointing. My old Panasonic 32" crt hd ready tv displayed the channels crystal clear.

I called Sony and they advised me to call COX and have them come out and check the cable. I know the cable is OK, since my old crt tv displayed the regular channels just fine.

Is this what I can expect from an LCD and did I make a big mistake by not getting a plasma or dlp? What do you think.

techchris
Veteran

Oct 27, 2007, 6:37 PM

Post #2 of 9 (1857 views)
Shortcut
Re: [smbdck] New LCD and regular programs. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have lost count of the number of customers who say their old tv was better than a new digital tv. crt sets ALWAYS give a better picture on analogue than LCD or Plasma.so what you are seeing is normal. just watch HD is my advice

smbdck
New User

Oct 27, 2007, 11:43 PM

Post #3 of 9 (1854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] New LCD and regular programs. [In reply to] Can't Post

I see now that you're correct, my 4 yr. old panasonic was hd ready and the picture was awesome. Then why is the market flooded with LCD's. Plasma's and now DLP. I'll try an answer my own question. In order to have a sharp picture over 40 inches it's unrealistic to produce a "crt". Correct ??

denonjapan
Veteran

Oct 28, 2007, 6:49 AM

Post #4 of 9 (1845 views)
Shortcut

I don't think you understood what he just told you. if the CRT based hd monitor works best for you has nothing to do with why the market flooded with LCD's, Plasma or DLP....As I look into your answer to having a sharp picture over 40 inches? keep bringing you more confusions.

denonjapan
made in japan

techchris
Veteran

Oct 28, 2007, 4:36 PM

Post #5 of 9 (1841 views)
Shortcut

no wrong.the market is flooded with plasma and LCD because thats what the public want to buy.it does not make the tv's any good.digital tv has never been as good as a good analogue tv in my opinion .the technology was not there to produce large crt tv's though it may have been by now if the flat screens were not available but as for the weight,you would need a couple of east european weight lifters to carry them.

denonjapan
Veteran

Oct 29, 2007, 11:49 AM

Post #6 of 9 (1830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] New LCD and regular programs. [In reply to] Can't Post

What are you referring here techchris?>"digital tv has never been as good as a good analogue tv in my opinion"= Analog tv is good in analog signal. Digital Tv can handle both signals that analog tv can't. if your conclusions of both, starts from DIGITAL TV handling analog signal is what big confusion of consumers now in technical terms of resolutions (from analog tv) over pixels (digital tv). Unfortunately, were not going to back to analog. We had accommodated the past analog signal in placed. SDTV-EDTV, towards digital tv now called=enhanced definition. That all there is to it. that's not the focus anymore.

denonjapan
made in japan

onetech
User

Oct 29, 2007, 5:57 PM

Post #7 of 9 (1827 views)
Shortcut

Are you using an HD cable box on the set?

smbdck
New User

Oct 29, 2007, 8:23 PM

Post #8 of 9 (1824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [onetech] New LCD and regular programs. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes Motorola DCT6416 III. It's actually a dvr with two HD tuners.

onetech
User

Oct 29, 2007, 11:57 PM

Post #9 of 9 (1821 views)
Shortcut

If you are using the DVI or Component out(y Pb Pr) to the set you have a signal issue or a bad box.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)