Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: LCD TV Forum:
Polaroid 42", Is this a safe repair?

Tristan
New User

Aug 3, 2016, 10:55 PM

Post #1 of 3 (2435 views)
Shortcut
Polaroid 42", Is this a safe repair? Can't Post

I'll try to make this as brief as I can. I've spent the last week trying to repair a Polaroid 42" LCD (model TLX04244B), which was turning off quickly after powering on. Looking online, I found others who said the power board is at fault. That seemed to line up perfectly with my issue, so I ordered the replacement part from ShopJimmy.com. It did not fix the issue, however. I then realized the replacement part was a slightly different revision of my original part, so I ordered a new board identical to the original and received it today. Still no luck. I was fed up and in a final act of desperation I flipped a switch on the power board, which I've included an image of here: http://imgur.com/a/IzDqS

I first switched on both the 40" and 46" switches, and the TV turned on and stayed on! I could not believe it. Not wanting to harm it, I powered down and tried it with only the 46" switch activated. That worked just as well. Like I said, I had basically given up on getting it to work, and I thought I would give it one last shot. I'm not familiar with TV repair, but I've worked with electronics enough to know to generally leave things the way I find them.

Now to my real questions: Is this a safe fix? Will this be a lasting fix? I'm cautious about repairing things like this since I know relatively little about them. If having that switch activated could cause overheating or any danger, I won't take my chances with it. If it's intended use was factory testing or the like, I don't want to take any risks using it. If someone more knowledgeable than I has any experience with this, I'd appreciate any feedback. Until then, the TV is unplugged and not in use.

(This post was edited by Tristan on Aug 3, 2016, 10:56 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 3, 2016, 11:25 PM

Post #2 of 3 (2430 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tristan] Polaroid 42", Is this a safe repair? [In reply to] Can't Post

Most boards at SJ show SW1 position 1 in 'ON' position. Rest in 'OFF' position.

-------------------------

Tristan
New User

Aug 4, 2016, 1:07 AM

Post #3 of 3 (2420 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Polaroid 42", Is this a safe repair? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi jts1957, thanks for your reply. I've been working a bit more on it and have an update.

You said that most boards have the SW1 position 1 in the 'ON' position. Using the TV's original board I was only able to see a picture with the position 2 (46") in the ON position. However, the latest replacement board I received worked correctly with the SW1 position 1 (40") in the ON position. This replacement board was purchased from ShopJimmy, who seems to have a good reputation among DIY fixers, and I only purchased it after I verified with their support that it matched the original board and would be compatible. (Both the new and old boards are model # 899-AZ0-IPOS250-PA2H, for anyone interested)

Barring any other issues with the set, I think I'll keep this newer board installed, I trust it to last longer than the older board. Glad I can say my purchase paid off. Thanks very much for your help!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)