Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: LCD TV Forum:
Replace the screen?

glistx
New User

Jul 18, 2007, 6:40 PM

Post #1 of 9 (2499 views)
Shortcut
Replace the screen? Can't Post

How plausible is it to replace the screen on an lcd if it is cracked? Should I get one that doesn't power up on ebay and used it as a donor?
Thanks

techchris
Veteran

Jul 18, 2007, 9:59 PM

Post #2 of 9 (2496 views)
Shortcut
Re: [glistx] Replace the screen? [In reply to] Can't Post

it will cost more than the tv is worth to replace the front panel.as for e-bay....you pay your money and take your chance

glistx
New User

Jul 18, 2007, 11:30 PM

Post #3 of 9 (2490 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Replace the screen? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm asking about it being possible to do myself. If I got 2 tvs, one cracked screen and one won't power up; can I swap the screen?

techchris
Veteran

Jul 19, 2007, 6:52 AM

Post #4 of 9 (2485 views)
Shortcut

if they are the same make and model yes you can swap them.be careful as the ribbon connectors are easy to break.

MOtvGuy
User

Jul 20, 2007, 12:48 AM

Post #5 of 9 (2476 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Replace the screen? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, you can replace it yourself but as Chris said you're taking your chances with an Ebay electronics purchase that doesn't work. Not only is there a chance the panel in your Ebay purchase may not work but it's also possible that even if it does work, the version of panel you buy off Ebay isn't the same as the one in your set. Hence, it still wont' work.

onetech
User

Jul 23, 2007, 4:07 PM

Post #6 of 9 (2468 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
How plausible is it to replace the screen on an lcd if it is cracked? Should I get one that doesn't power up on ebay and used it as a donor?
Thanks

Is the LCD panel broken or is it the glass shield in front of the panel? If the LCD display is broken junk the unit. If it's the safety shield, that can replaced.

MOtvGuy
User

Jul 26, 2007, 10:29 AM

Post #7 of 9 (2452 views)
Shortcut
Re: [onetech] Replace the screen? [In reply to] Can't Post

Very, very few LCD TV's have any sort of safety shield on the front.

Studi
New User

Sep 27, 2007, 8:36 PM

Post #8 of 9 (2314 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MOtvGuy] Replace the screen? [In reply to] Can't Post

Apologies people for being new to this forum but thought you might appreciate my input.
Being an Engineer based in the UK, I can only speak from our companies point of view and facts may not be correct worldwide.
Firstly, LCDs do not have an outer screen, Plasma do. If an LCD is scratched, then it can be reworked but it is usually not cost effective.
It is a real gamble to purchase the same model to use as spares. The majority of manufacturers change parts without changing the model number, especially when it comes to screens.
Even if you get the correct part number of the screen, it may well mean that the screen driver has to be changed. This is because the same screen will be used in lots of different models. The driver is programmed to suit the particular screen and chassis.
My company decided a while back to sell off our excess stock. The job was given to me but it has become a bit of a nightmare for these reasons. I now tend to do more research on things than I actually do repairing them!
Not sure if I am allowed to do this but if you look at http://www.sjstv.co.uk/tvparts.html then you will probably see that even though the set uses the same chassis, the part numbers are different.
In a nutshell, as mentioned, buying from eBay is high risk. As an example, a 23" Philips with the same LC4.3 chassis comes with 4 possible screens. You must go by the specific part numbers for the part you need.
Hope this helps.
UK Plasma & LCD New & Used Parts.

(This post was edited by Studi on Nov 13, 2008, 1:35 AM)

denonjapan
Veteran

Sep 28, 2007, 3:03 PM

Post #9 of 9 (2305 views)
Shortcut

"How plausible is it to replace the screen on an lcd if it is cracked? Should I get one that doesn't power up on ebay and used it as a donor?
Thanks "
GLISTX! I pity more of you having cracked minded. buying broken lcd's. stupid! stupid!

denonjapan
made in japan

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.18 s on (CGI/1.1)