Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: LCD TV Forum:
Sharp ld-26SH1U EEprom problems?

pappaneil
New User

Jul 25, 2007, 3:39 PM

Post #1 of 7 (2831 views)
Shortcut
Sharp ld-26SH1U EEprom problems? Can't Post

I just recieved this unit for free. It powers on but all commands are slow. What ever shows on the screen is "frozen" I connected a DVD player to Video 1 but can't get it to switch. It just stays with "frozen snow" even though in the upper right hand corner it says Video 1. At times, the screen just flashes on and off. eventually it will stay on and I can access the menu at this point. To me, this sounds like it may have an eeprom issue like the older RCA CRT units used to have all the time. Any clues to where I can look for trouble shooting this problem? Is this a common problem? This set is only a 53 weeks old. Thanks in advance for any information.

techchris
Veteran

Jul 25, 2007, 5:44 PM

Post #2 of 7 (2826 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pappaneil] Sharp ld-26SH1U EEprom problems? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not surprised someone gave this away.a sharp that lasted that long before going faulty? wow ,must be a record. anyways this could be an eeprom fault.does it unfreeze or do you switch it off to restart it? changing an eeprom just in case it is faulty is a risky business on any tv.make sure you order a preprogrammed ic from sharp not a generic blank one,or you could be in for big trouble.

pappaneil
New User

Jul 25, 2007, 7:25 PM

Post #3 of 7 (2824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Sharp ld-26SH1U EEprom problems? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply. Just as I thought it would be. Turning it on and off has no effect. I've changed out a lot of eeproms on the old RCA units. Most of the time I used preprogramed proms, but on those sets I knew how to set the perimeters. I'll try to find one somewhere to replace this one. Neil

MOtvGuy
User

Jul 25, 2007, 11:38 PM

Post #4 of 7 (2819 views)
Shortcut

Sorry, you're confusing ancient technology, ie: the old RCA eeproms with a digital TV set.

LCD TV's require specific firmware to run the LCD panel and settings stored within the eeprom to do so. They're panel and board specific. You can't get an eeprom for that set that's properly loaded nor will you have anyway to program it. The reason the set was trashed was because of a main board failure, which is where the eeprom resides amoung other parts and the cost of said board, which is expensive.

I believe those SH models were Sharps cheaper, chinese built line and were only repairable by sending them to Sharp as parts were never available for servicers.

pappaneil
New User

Jul 26, 2007, 12:39 AM

Post #5 of 7 (2816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MOtvGuy] Sharp ld-26SH1U EEprom problems? [In reply to] Can't Post

It figures! More cheap junky crap coming out of China to polute and contaminate our landfills (and our government must love it). Just like the Olevia sets that come from China. There inverter boards go out quit often, although difficult to get, they can still be purchased for a fair price. I have a place in mind to contact that may have a solution for me though. Sorry for all the manufacture's who have to stoop so low as to deal with China's manufacturing crap.

MOtvGuy
User

Jul 26, 2007, 10:28 AM

Post #6 of 7 (2812 views)
Shortcut

Sharp offers two levels of TV's to fit the pocket books of consumers. The Aquos line is higher end and Sharp offers full support through their service network.

They also carry a cheaper, Chinese built line which has no support for the servicer end. They were sold that way from the git-go.

It's pretty simple really, If you want to provide a parts support system and technical support system for a TV set it costs money. That cost is figured into the cost of the TV set. If you don't provide that support you can sell it for less.

If the average consumer actually knew that upfront, they might think twice before buying that set that's hundreds of dollars less than the name brand.

pappaneil
New User

Jul 27, 2007, 7:08 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2807 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MOtvGuy] Sharp ld-26SH1U EEprom problems? [In reply to] Can't Post

Update:
After turning it on and off a few times each day and sometimes leaving it on for awhile, today it stated working. I don't know for how long though. I feel that if I leave it on it will stay on. Later on, I'll take a chance and set it up on my desk to use as a monitor/tv. I hope it stays in this position when I do this. I'm the type of person who leaves my monitors on anyway.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)