Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: LCD TV Forum:
TV purchase suggestions wanted

stevez
New User

Apr 19, 2007, 2:50 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1929 views)
Shortcut
TV purchase suggestions wanted Can't Post

I have been given the task from my boss to research and suggest a TV for where I work. We currently have two NEC LCD's that have burned in. The problem is that the are on 24/7 due to their application. I have started doing some research on the net but wanted to see if anyone here has a suggestion. I know newer TV's have burn in reduction and pixel shifting but can't really find any models that specifically say that have these and don't know if it would even help with them having to be on 24/7.

denonjapan
Veteran

May 5, 2007, 5:53 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1898 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevez] TV purchase suggestions wanted [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think the 2 nec you mentioned were lcd at all. You could have been mistaken it as Plasma. Lcd's do not incur burn-in. If an Lcd does have certain dark spots from stilled graphics 24/7 will not linger permanently into the screen. Unless the back-light is failing. Lcd's do not feature pixel shifting as they're liquid crystals. They're are (LCD) ideal for 24/7 continuous tasks.

denonjapan
made in japan

stevez
New User

May 5, 2007, 2:02 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] TV purchase suggestions wanted [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I know the type's of TV's we have. They are MOST DEFINATELY LCD's. Thank's for your insight...and they HAVE burned in.

denonjapan
Veteran

May 5, 2007, 4:04 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1892 views)
Shortcut

And more so glad to educate you more! Since you are given the task to look for a display, One important insight: LCD is a transmissive displays. Light source isn't created by the liquid crystals themselves. The backlight shines thru the panel while the crystals manipulate the intensity of the backlight in order the image to be visible. When light is generated from a source external to the screen itself, Images cannot permanently retained however it may occur temporarily which I would call image retension. Again:> it's not a burn in. If the marks you call burn in a LCD display still exist after turning on and off process, Its backlight failure that is visible to you while you calling it a burn.
Lastly, don't dissappoint your boss for choosing you!
denonjapan
made in japan

rrobor
Veteran

May 26, 2007, 4:14 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1838 views)
Shortcut

It is always wise whilst blowing ones own trumpet and calling others silly to be absolutely sure of ones subject. I will refer you to a published article. from a magazine, This I stress is not my arguement but that of Silicon Chip publication and a manufacturer of LCD screens
Indeed, this was in fact the LCD version of a CRT burn. The set had been run in a prolonged 4:3 format and the two stripes were equivalent to the black border between the 4:3 and 16:9 formats.
Unlike CRTs, LCD (and plasma) elements get hottest when the picture is black because they have to cut off and absorb the light from the lamp. This light is extremely bright and very hot. In fact, the instruction book actually advises the owner not to use it in the 4:3 mode for precisely this reason.

jackson46
New User

May 29, 2007, 6:25 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1828 views)
Shortcut

"I have been given the task from my boss to research and suggest a TV for where I work. We currently have two NEC LCD's that have burned in. The problem is that the are on 24/7 due to their application. I have started doing some research on the net but wanted to see if anyone here has a suggestion. I know newer TV's have burn in reduction and pixel shifting but can't really find any models that specifically say that have these and don't know if it would even help with them having to be on 24/7."

In my opinion, you can get the information you're looking for by reading reviews, expert as well as user. I came across this site (http://www.smartratings.com/...nics/plasma_and_lcds) that has compilations of reviews for a wide array of hdtv products, plasma and lcd tv's. I believe you will find the information in some of the reviews. Just a suggestion. Hope it will help.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)