Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: LCD TV Forum:
To buy a extended Warentee or not

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Dec 7, 2005, 10:57 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2505 views)
Shortcut
To buy a extended Warentee or not Can't Post

Here at Maiers tv in Spokane we are the Warranty company for many brand name sets, and we get asked "should we buy the extended Warranty or not". Well heres the poop if you buy a DLP, LCD, any set that has a light engine installed in it. Many manufactures claim the life of the lamp to be 20000 hours, this is rarley the case. Weve seen Samsungs with as little as 125 hours on them, true this lamp should last for the year manufactures Warranty time but at the cost of a lamp ( around 225.00 for samsung * 115-495 for Toshiba* 200 for a mits* 250 425 for a Sony )then to get this installed and cleaned and serviced.( All this could run you 595.00 and that includes the service call to your house)

So think about it the cost of the extended Warranty basicly covers a new lamp in a few years

And with all the other things to go wrong (We get Samsungs droping like flys-Can you say"color wheel?"

We belive the cost of a extended Warranty should always be added to the cost of the set, it will save your ass
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

denonjapan
Veteran

Dec 19, 2005, 5:54 AM

Post #2 of 6 (2467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] To buy a extended Warentee or not [In reply to] Can't Post

If were in your shoes, I would say same thing but it's part of the game mainly a JOB to work it's way to progress as we imposed people to do so! Only if you succeed!

On the consumer side, Not necessarily so!..If you believe in QUALITY! why need a warranty?. Optomistic like me is not a belief! it's an attitude.

I always knew! Warranty applies to those who's pessimistic and don't you notice it's clinging them always? cause they know it's going to happen!

denonjapan

made in japan

Rumplestiltskin
New User

Jan 10, 2006, 2:46 AM

Post #3 of 6 (2387 views)
Shortcut

Maybe if you never want to fool with it, and are getting a unit that has a questionable reputation for reliability. Of course that's also why I shy away from most projection TVs and bought an actual LCD display. But there are plenty of folks out there that could surely benefit from the warranty if it provides onsite support. If it doesn't it isn't worth it, that's for sure.

And it's pretty obvious who the reliable manufacturers are based on your post. You've listed some of the ones that have the best pictures, yet the worst reliability.

And of course you think the purchase price should factor in a warranty - you sell them!

In Reply To
Here at Maiers tv in Spokane we are the Warranty company for many brand name sets, and we get asked "should we buy the extended Warranty or not". Well heres the poop if you buy a DLP, LCD, any set that has a light engine installed in it. Many manufactures claim the life of the lamp to be 20000 hours, this is rarley the case. Weve seen Samsungs with as little as 125 hours on them, true this lamp should last for the year manufactures Warranty time but at the cost of a lamp ( around 225.00 for samsung * 115-495 for Toshiba* 200 for a mits* 250 425 for a Sony )then to get this installed and cleaned and serviced.( All this could run you 595.00 and that includes the service call to your house)

So think about it the cost of the extended Warranty basicly covers a new lamp in a few years

And with all the other things to go wrong (We get Samsungs droping like flys-Can you say"color wheel?"

We belive the cost of a extended Warranty should always be added to the cost of the set, it will save your ass

andee
New User

Jan 15, 2006, 3:28 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2355 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rumplestiltskin] To buy a extended Warentee or not [In reply to] Can't Post

sitting on the floor with a black scrn, is my 2 1/2 yr old 15 inch philips lcd tv, cost me $550, a VERY GOOD PRICE AT THAT TIME..OOPS ..probably needs a lamp, which would make the repair too costly, can now get 15 inch tvs at walmart for $250..far as i'm concerned, doesnt pay to spend a lot on lcd..

Raven52
New User

Feb 23, 2006, 1:59 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [andee] To buy a extended Warentee or not [In reply to] Can't Post

Forget quality, these new T.V.'s of today such as Plasma, LCD, LCOS, DLP are all new technology. This is also very fragile technology which in my opinion is more defective than not. I have personally gone through 2 56" JVC widescreen T.V.'s. My second one lasted 2 years before its recent problems which calls for a total 3 tube replacement.

I purchased a 4 year warranty from Best Buy for $250 at the time of purchase in 2003. They are now giving me full purcahse price to put towards a new T.V.

I ended up with a 52" JVC HD-ILA and a new service plan. The only thing it will cost me out of pocket is about $200. I can't complain. $200 for a brand new T.V. with new technology.

I have heard too many horror storys of people having to replace $1200 parts for these T.V.'s after the 1 year manufacturer warranty has expired. Go ahead and take a risk if you want but you won't find anything that uphold the purchase value of a T.V. over a 4 year period of time.

And if you are wondering why I went with JVC again, it came down to the right price. Plus all of the reviews for sets that I have seen all have the same issues. Every set has a series of faulty light engines, bad bulbs, or bad color wheels.

I say get the warranty! If I didn't want a T.V. with problems, I would buy a set no larger than a 36" flat screen tube T.V. You are almost garunteed over 10 years of solid use out of a regular tube unit. But once you go big, its almost impossible to go back.

techchris
Veteran

Feb 23, 2006, 5:47 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2254 views)
Shortcut

here in the UK we find a big reason for lamp failure is because the customer is too lazy to clean the filters so the whole thing runs too hot.also due to the sale of goods act here,big purchases like tv's have to last "a reasonable length of time" so manufacturers cant just say sorry its 13 months old so out of waranty. they can be expected to supply major parts for longer free of charge and often do if pressed to! I dont know if this applies in the US. certainly things like lcd projection units and colour wheel assemblys should last more than a couple of years. maybe if more retailers stood up to the makers we wouldn't get so much junk on the marketplace

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)