Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: LCD TV Forum:
Sony Bravia KDL-40S5100 No Picture, No sound, No Backlight

Mrfix71
New User

Jun 29, 2020, 8:36 PM

Post #1 of 6 (4524 views)
Shortcut
Sony Bravia KDL-40S5100 No Picture, No sound, No Backlight Can't Post

Watching TV when the display turned off. After researching and troubleshooting, I am stumped and concerned if it is salvageable, as well as do not want to repair by playing the replacing parts game. No sound when volume likely all the way up and input selector pressed slowly dozens of times.

Here's what I got...No standby light but do get green and relay click after power button pressed. 3v reference OK but also get it before or after power button pressed. Conflicted information if that is correct or not from my references. All other voltages on Pwr to Main board seem OK. low voltage to backlight board OK but did not test high side. I do not see any image when doing a flashlight test as far as I can tell.

Was about to replace Main board when I stumbled on some references that made me second guess. Plus the main board seems to be a rare and hot commodity. Is there a suggested test to force main items to work to verify main board or power could be bad?

We have been content with the picture quality of this TV and only use it as a monitor. Not liking change too much, I'd like to plug it in and go back to what we are familiar with! LOL Prefer not to have a smart TV quite yet.

Mrfix71
New User

Jun 30, 2020, 12:09 AM

Post #2 of 6 (4519 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mrfix71] Sony Bravia KDL-40S5100 No Picture, No sound, No Backlight [In reply to] Can't Post

Took more time for visual inspection of the back of the power board and review voltage checks. Nothing obvious appears to be out of place or damaged. Read somewhere (forgot where) that no power after hearing power supply relay click means power supply board is bad.

I can upload photos if needed.

BTW... My situation is same as in this thread. but do not know the cause of failure as it failed while watching a movie.
http://www.tv-forums.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=161108;search_string=sony%20kdl;#161108

Mrfix71
New User

Jul 23, 2020, 7:36 PM

Post #3 of 6 (3780 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mrfix71] Sony Bravia KDL-40S5100 No Picture, No sound, No Backlight [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not been able to find an OEM board for this tv anywhere. Anyone have any ideas where to score one, have one repaired, or one that I can retro install? Surely there is a similar model that I can use that matches the display or something.

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 24, 2020, 7:28 AM

Post #4 of 6 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Similar models:
KDL-40S5100
KDL-40SL150
KDL-40V5100
KDL-40V5500

-------------------------

Mrfix71
New User

Jul 24, 2020, 12:40 PM

Post #5 of 6 (3750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Sony Bravia KDL-40S5100 No Picture, No sound, No Backlight [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks!
I'll look to see if those numbers will help find something. Sure would like to reuse this thing, even if there was a universal display board out there like for laptop screens.

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 24, 2020, 2:54 PM

Post #6 of 6 (3745 views)
Shortcut

https://elektrotanya.com/...egoria=&kat2=all

-------------------------

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)