Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Burn in and a SONY KDE-50XS955

manamok
New User

Jun 15, 2005, 2:04 AM

Post #1 of 4 (2124 views)
Shortcut
Burn in and a SONY KDE-50XS955 Can't Post

I just bought a plasma TV also - a SONY KDE-50XS955 model. The owner's manual has got me nutty over the subject of burn in. I'm a bit concerned about watching some of my DVD's which are in an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 rather than 16:9. Also some of the movies broadcast on the HD premium channels like HBO, Showtime, etc are broadcast in this wider ratio. I've got the brightness and contrast turned down to less than 50% on the screen. The TV has zoom features which will make the black bars disappear but the picture quality suffers and the scenes are sometimes distorted. One thing I don't quite understand...if the bars are black and the screen is black and no broadcast info is included in the bars - what is being burned in? Does any one have any experience with watching movies with the black bars on the screen? Are they generally not a problem?

Robroy
User

Jun 15, 2005, 2:34 AM

Post #2 of 4 (2117 views)
Shortcut
Re: [manamok] Burn in and a SONY KDE-50XS955 [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't worry about the black bars for watching movies as long as you don't leave it on overnight or something. Think of it like this, the black bars mean the pixels are not lit up in that part of the screen and they won't fade as fast as the middle of the screen, but this shouldn't be a problem with the newer Plasmas. It is more of a concern when hooking your plasma up to a computer without a screen saver. The news ticker from CNN if left on for a couple of days would be a bigger concern, but the black bars shouldn't be a big deal.

manamok
New User

Jun 15, 2005, 8:34 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Robroy] Burn in and a SONY KDE-50XS955 [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info. Another question regarding the "screen saver" option offered by SONY. There is an "orbit" screen saver option and a "white" screen saver. The "orbit" is supposed to move the screen around a bit to prevent burn in. I have the orbit option selected but don't notice anything "orbiting" - should I be aware of this occuring? Also, when would one enable the "white" screen saver?

Robroy
User

Jun 16, 2005, 3:50 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2106 views)
Shortcut
Re: [manamok] Burn in and a SONY KDE-50XS955 [In reply to] Can't Post

The orbiter moves around ever so slightly so you won't notice it with the naked eye. The white screen saver is a white wash and should never have to be used. If you have an image burned in you can turn on the white wash and use it to fade the rest of the screen to match the burned in portion, but it will significantly reduce the over all life of your set because it is fading or burning all your pixels prematurely. Again, I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a computer hooked up to it. Just be sure to use the full screen mode whenever you can and don't leave your TV on for long lengths of time with the CNN news ticker left on and also those stupid little logos in the corner like UPN, TNT or ABC.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)