Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Dual digital tuner PIP?

1goalkeeper
New User

Dec 24, 2008, 9:01 PM

Post #1 of 6 (5132 views)
Shortcut
Dual digital tuner PIP? Can't Post

Hello all, I'm new here to the forum, hoping you can help.
I have a Pioneer PDP5070HD. My only complaint about it is the picture-in-picture function. I have a HDTV cable box from Comcast running through the TV. However, the TV won't allow split screen/PIP from the same digital source. Therefore, in order to use the split screen/PIP, I have to have one tuned to the HD box and the other tuned to analog.
I'm in the market for another plasma HDTV. But this time, I want true PIP capabilities where I can have two digital screens at once. I've looked at the new Pioneer Kuro line, but every one of them lists 2x analog tuners and 1x digital tuners.
Does anyone know of a good plasma HDTV that has two digital tuners, or a PIP system that allows dual digital signals?
Thanks,
Bryant

techman540
User

Dec 25, 2008, 5:42 AM

Post #2 of 6 (5124 views)
Shortcut
Re: [1goalkeeper] Dual digital tuner PIP? [In reply to] Can't Post

Bryant,
I have a question for you. As I Pioneer Elite Dealer I know what you mean about them being a great TV the picture quality is unsurpassed. So for this Digital signal coming into your tv it does not sound like you are even using you digital tuner now. If you are using your cable box as your tuner you could either add another cable box and use the PiP feature. Or if you are looking a new pioneer you could utilize a cable card with your tv for one tuner and your cable box for another. This would give you the availability of having 2 pip hd sources running at the same time from cable.

Motosat dealer
RV Internet

1goalkeeper
New User

Dec 26, 2008, 9:06 PM

Post #3 of 6 (5114 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techman540] Dual digital tuner PIP? [In reply to] Can't Post

Techman,
Thanks for the reply. I have a ComCast Digital cable box coming into the TV now. I use that as one of the sources. But when I try to use it for the PIP, it tells me it needs a different signal. I guess I could get a separate box from ComCast. I was just wondering if there was a way to do it with one cable box.

techman540
User

Jan 1, 2009, 2:12 AM

Post #4 of 6 (5096 views)
Shortcut

No you wont be able to split that signal coming off that box. This box is acting as your tuner. If they are providing basic service to you you would be able to split the signal before the box and then use it as an input and the box as another.

Motosat dealer
RV Internet

1goalkeeper
New User

Jan 6, 2009, 1:51 AM

Post #5 of 6 (5087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techman540] Dual digital tuner PIP? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I thought. Do you know of any brand of plasma tv that can have one digital cable box, but split it into two signals in the TV?

techman540
User

Jan 6, 2009, 3:24 AM

Post #6 of 6 (5085 views)
Shortcut

No that cant work. That is a limitation to the cable box itself and not to the tv. The tv can handle the inputs, but the box itself can only put out one signal.

Motosat dealer
RV Internet

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)