HP Plasma 42" Won't Turn On!!

StynbrnrShotJFK
New User

Nov 28, 2010, 5:30 AM

Post #1 of 3 (2613 views)
Shortcut
HP Plasma 42" Won't Turn On!! Can't Post

Hello,
My name is Tom and I'm as new as it gets! My son won a HP PL4260 back in Sep 2007. It has a build date of 6/2006. This TV has hardly been used. About 1 month ago he called me to say his TV won't turn on. (Isn't this what Dad's are for, to call when something won't start, run or light up? Never have one of my kids called me to offer me money or free food!) Being a pretty mechanical person, I hit the WWW and boy, does this set take a beating almost as viscious as the beating HP took! And it seems this TV and THIS exact issue is quite the commonality! So he buys a new SONY 32" Bravia and Dad get's the HP! So I move it out of his Apt. into mine (it was like moving a 56 Buick that has no wheels!) I set it up and turn it on. Nothing. I mess with the remote only to find dead batteries. After installing new ones, I got the TV to have audio. Using the remote, I changed stations and the audio went right along with it. But that's where it ends. No picture or any activity whatsoever on the TV. Not one single remote function works. Nor do the little buttons on the side. And I still can't make any sense what-so-ever of where the 3 plugs from my Dish box go. So my question is what is my next step? After losing my job, I'm a little recessionary as we speak. Any information here will be a God send!

Thanks,
Tommy

RyanMoroz
New User

Nov 28, 2010, 6:44 AM

Post #2 of 3 (2606 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StynbrnrShotJFK] HP Plasma 42" Won't Turn On!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Usually isues with Plasmas that have no picture at all on the screen are to have a common issue with a YSUS board. This is a HUGE issue for Plasmas.

There is no way around it but you will have to open the TV. You need to take off the back and from looking at the back the Ysus will be the big board on your left. First check for a dead fuse. Most have 2 fusses. Replace the dead fuse and HOPE AND PRAY thats all it takes. Most of the time from my experience there will be a FET or Transistor dead on the board though. This takes a little more experience to test and replace.

Boards are usually about $150 on ebay or so for these.

In Reply To

StynbrnrShotJFK
New User

Nov 28, 2010, 1:48 PM

Post #3 of 3 (2604 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RyanMoroz] HP Plasma 42" Won't Turn On!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ryan,
Thanks! What does the fuse look like? A standard glass, automotive type, glass, SFE fuse? Is there soldering required to replace this board? If not, I'll attempt it. Unless you live in Massachusetts!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.17 s on (CGI/1.1)